Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 170 of 247

Re: Extending Wireless Range of Home Hubs - Information

Go to solution

There are a number of repeater modes according to the new manual.

The version 2 seems to be a different external design, unless I am looking at the wrong picture.

I can spend a bit more time, but am off to bed in about 10 minutes.

If its boosting the signal strength when its turned on, then I suppose it must be working, but I would be surprised if it was.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 171 of 247

Go to solution

update to your last post - Yes agree it show AP-UP in manual  but not on software 'Wireless statistics' help area on right? - very odd.

Daryl

I wonder if the config file has upset something. It may be better to reset to default, and then set the whole thing up manually.

Once you have done that, and logged back in, you can change the IP address yourself, then restart. Then change the IP address of the PC to match the same subnet as before.

Then change mode to universal repeater etc....

0 Ratings
darylt66
Contributor
Message 172 of 247

Go to solution

On the software there is Universal repeater or WDS repeater options (WPS does not work on Bt Hub 3?) it is odd at the moment it is connecting to some devices with very good packet flow but hardly any on others

0 Ratings
darylt66
Contributor
Message 173 of 247

Go to solution

will do in the next day or so.. Do you have step by step for doing it manually (settings etc.) - when and where do I set the 192.168.1.15? I dont need this tonight but would be greatful if you could help out in the next few days.

Many thanks - Have a good nights sleep!

Daryl

0 Ratings
darylt66
Contributor
Message 174 of 247

Go to solution

Hi Keith,

I have managed to reconfigure manually (without use of your config files)  but no change on wireless statistics. Main status window shows a lot of packet activity but I dont know where their are being used!

Just about to give up on this unit now as it has already taken up a lot of my time and surely these products should work easier than this?? ( joe bloggs with no computer experience will never get this working)  - Are there any other units that you would reccommend?

Unlikely to be back online until tomorrow evening now although I may get a chance to check lunchtime.

Many thanks again for trying to help.

Daryl

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 175 of 247

Go to solution

Manual configuration is quite simple, as all the info is in the manual, the only thing you have to make sure. is that the IP address of the repeater in in the same subnet as the home hub. This can be done as the final step, to make things easier, especially on the version 2 hardware.

There are lots of people who have downloaded the instructions and config files, and I get very little feedback, so I assume things are fine. Feedback on this thread indicates that most people eventually sort it out.

If you ignore the packet statistics, and concentrate on whether the actual signal level is being boosted, that is more important, as its what you are trying to do. I am assuming that you are seeing that signal boost?

The fact that you can "see" the repeater from the main network, must indicate that is actually connected by wireless, to the home hub.

The unit itself, can also be used as an access point, but this would involve an Ethernet connection from the home hub, either a direct cable, or using powerline adapters.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 176 of 247

Go to solution

@darylt66 wrote:

On the software there is Universal repeater or WDS repeater options (WPS does not work on Bt Hub 3?) it is odd at the moment it is connecting to some devices with very good packet flow but hardly any on others

Only the Universal Repeater mode will work, the home hubs do not support WDS (Wireless Distribution System).

WPS has nothing to do with it, and its best to totally ignore any references to it in the manual. The wireless key needs to be entered in manually.

Some devices will need to be forced to rescan for the repeater, as it has a different BSSID, and this will need to be recorded by the device.

Android devices need this, as they can store multiple BSSIDs against the same SSID.

This is most noticable on BT FON, BT wifi/Openzone connections, where you can have multiple entries against the same SSID.

If you rescan, then Andriod devices may show the home hub`s SSID twice, one for the HH3 itself, and one for the repeater.

Its possible that you are simply connecting to the HH3, and not the repeater, which is why there are no packets showing.

See if you can see the repeater, it should show as a stronger signal, with the same SSID as the home hub.

0 Ratings
darylt66
Contributor
Message 177 of 247

Go to solution

Hi Keith,

On all computers I can only see the BT home hub (HH3)  listed along with BT FON and BT wifi in the list of wireless devices? should there be a seperate one identyfing the AP in this list? This is the same on all computers even the ones that do connect and show a  high packet flow.

Thanks,

Daryl

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 178 of 247

Go to solution

No, the SSID will be the same, as the repeater will repeat the main SSID, but not FON etc.

Really the clue is that any device near the repeater, should show a very strong signal from the BT home hub SSID, but not from any of the others. If you cannot see a strong signal next to the repeater, then its not working.

0 Ratings
darylt66
Contributor
Message 179 of 247

Go to solution

This is the issue that I have, some computers, phones etc have a strong signal next to AP and others dont. Wireless statistics will identify some of the devices but not others. Those that are idendified may have strong or weak packet flow and this with all of them sitting next to the AP.

I am convinced that some setting needs teaking somewhere as I have reloaded manually after using your config files with no difference in performance?

Daryl

0 Ratings