Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
darylt66
Contributor
Message 190 of 247

Re: Extending Wireless Range of Home Hubs - Information

Go to solution

No luck Keith - Changing the encryption to WPA only has caused issues with logging into BT home hub. I have reloaded wirless signal, password etc but 2 of the laptops have yellow triangles and exclamation marks on the wireless signal icon (other devices are working fine). I have changed back to WPA/WPA2 auto connection and all are connecting fine albeit with low signal strength at the back of my property of which I think I am going to have to live with as cant give it any more time at the moment. wireless statistics on AP is still the same with very low packet acitivity and not connecting to a device right next to it! Are there any other AP units that you know of that have had good feedback from users and works with BT hub 3? I know the TP-Link unit that I have has had good feedback but wont work for me!

Thank you anyway for trying to sort out the issue - much appreciated.

Daryl

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 191 of 247

Go to solution

Its difficult to see what is going on. I am not aware of any other unit which will work with the home hub, which is why I spent a lot of time researching and documenting the WA701ND.

Why you cannot get some devices to connect, I do not know. If the signal strength is good, then it should connect.

I think you are the first person with issues that could not be resolved.

All I can suggest is that you use a couple of Powerline adapters to carry the Ethernet signal to the remote location, then use the WA701ND as an access point, as shown here.

http://forumhelp.dyndns.info/networking/powerlinewireless.jpg

0 Ratings
darylt66
Contributor
Message 192 of 247

Go to solution

Hi Keith,

Yes, very frustrating. Which powerline adapters would you recommend (preferably from Amazon)?

Thanks,

Daryl

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 193 of 247

Go to solution

The ones on the diagram below, they are not expensive as a pair.

http://forumhelp.dyndns.info/networking/powerline3.jpg

0 Ratings
darylt66
Contributor
Message 194 of 247

Go to solution

Ok thanks - £30.53 for the pair on Amazon - will give them a go.

Daryl

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 195 of 247

Go to solution

The only issue you may have, depending on the home hub version. Some of the HH3s will not allow you to connect to the wireless, once a the same device has been detected on the LAN (AP) side.

They do not like seeing the same MAC address on both LAN and wireless interfaces.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
darylt66
Contributor
Message 196 of 247

Go to solution

I have HH3 type B.

Daryl

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 197 of 247

Go to solution

@darylt66 wrote:

I have HH3 type B.

Daryl

That one may be alright, I seem to think its the A type which does it.

0 Ratings
darylt66
Contributor
Message 198 of 247

Go to solution

Hi Keith,

just thought that I would post on here an update on my situation as you have been very helpful to me in trying to resolve my problem. Since being on here last I have tried everything to get the AP working but to no avail.... I also had in the house a TP Link TL-WA730RE of which I used until recently on a Orange/wanadoo router (prior to moving to BT and HUB3). I had read somewhere that the TL-WA730RE did not work with BT hub3 and therefore progessed to buy the 701ND. This evening i decided to to give the 730 a go out of curiosity... I set it up exactly as per your instructions and to my suprise the AP worked flawlessly on all devices immediately - I could not belive it (AP-UP aswell)!! 2-3 bars at furthest point in house instantly became 5 bars and wireless statistics was alive with activity - all within 5 minutes of set up.

I have therefore come to the conclusion that the 701ND is faulty and will be returning to supplier. Also for future reference, the new shape 701ND does not have AP-UP although it is mentioned in their manual (TP-link have not changed the manual for new version). The status will refer to encryption? (WPA or WPA2 etc) method only.

Best regards,

Daryl

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 199 of 247

Go to solution

The TL-WA730RE does work with the home hub in the Universal repeater mode, so I am not sure where you saw otherwise.

If you had mentioned that you had one earlier, I would have suggested that you tried it Smiley Wink

Its a cut-down version of the WA701ND, as it does not have the client mode, so I may add it to my list as a compatible device, especially as the IP addresses are the same.

I would also imagine that the config file is the same. In view of the hardware differences, I may recommend that people use the WA730RE instead.

I think that your WA701ND is faulty, especially as it does not give the AP-UP indication, and will not connect to some devices.

I am pleased that you have it all working now, it certainly was a puzzle to me, as to why it would not work.

0 Ratings