Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 200 of 247

Re: Extending Wireless Range of Home Hubs - Information

Go to solution

I have updated my website to recommend the WA730RE if the WA701ND version 1 is not available, as the instructions are valid for both devices.

Thank you for your feedback about this Smiley Happy

0 Ratings
darylt66
Contributor
Message 201 of 247

Go to solution

No Probs - Thank you. I have learnt a lot about wireless in the last few days and had never ventured previously into IP addresses etc. but now have a basic understanding of the system.

Again many thanks for your help,

Daryl

0 Ratings
poolbouy
Message 202 of 247

Go to solution

Hi

I have been following your instructions and all seemed to be set up ok. I can get a strong signal from the repeater but my iphone and laptop don't connect to the internet. I got my Home Hub 3 wired in to my PC but when the repeater is turned on I can't connect to the internet, it says DNS server not found. When I turn the repeater off the internet on my PC works OK again? I been trying to set up the TP-Link TL-WA701ND for the past 3 hours and I'm starting to lose patience!

Thanks for any help.

0 Ratings
Message 203 of 247

Go to solution

Hi,

I have managed to set this wa701nd up as a repeater with my homehub2 following your instructions Keith and using the  configuration files on your website.

However the internet connection only seems to last for roughly an hour before I have to reboot the homehub to get it working again.

Any ideas what could be the problem?

There are potentially four computers (2xMacOS, 1x WinXP, 1xVista) and two iOS devices using the connection.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 204 of 247

Go to solution

Have you checked that the home hub is manually locked to a channel, preferably channell 11? If interference causes the repeater to lose connection, that may be the problem.

You can prove this by connecting to the main hub, and see if you can connect to the repeater from http://192.168.1.15

and see the repeater status.

0 Ratings
Canco
Beginner
Message 205 of 247

Go to solution

Hi Keith,

I have been searching through the forums to find an answer to a question but I haven't managed to solve my problem and I was hoping you could help or at least point me in the right direction.

I need to buy a product that will allow me to connect a 4x none wireless devices (TV, XBox, FreeView Box, VOIP Adapter) to my wireless network.  The problem is I don't know what this box is called; AP, Client, Bridge...?

Would you be able to point me in the right direction for the device and, if possible, a thread where this question might have been raised before?

Many thanks for your time and effort!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 206 of 247

Go to solution

For a start, connecting that many devices to wireless is not really going to be very satisfactory, due to its poor performance. You can usually get away with perhaps one or two devices, operating at the same time, otherwise you will get buffering issues.

The way to do that would be to use a wireless client, with an Ethernet switch connected to it to give more than one port. I would not advise that you do it that way, as I think you will be disappointed with the results.

The TP-Link WA701ND can be used as a wireless client.

If you cannot run an Ethernet cable from the home hub to an Ethernet switch, then powerline adapters are the next best solution.

If you look at the following page, there are some solutions.

Network connection problems and possible solutions

Canco
Beginner
Message 207 of 247

Go to solution

Hi Keith_Beddoe,

Thanks for the fast reply and the interesting and helpful points.

I am planning to sign up to BT Infinity with YouView later this month and therefore hope to get the 'Simpler Networks' PowerLine adapters supplied.  In this case I believe I need only buy an Ethernet Switch.

Would the Tenda S105 be suitable or is there something else you would recommend?

Many thanks again for your time and effort.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 208 of 247

Go to solution

You could use the Tenda S105, or the TP Link one shown on my diagrams.

It really depends on how many devices you want to connect, bearing in mind that one port will be needed to connect to the Powerline adapter.

0 Ratings
zeidbop
Beginner
Message 209 of 247

Go to solution

Keith,

Firstly thank you very much for all the resources you have written and compiled on this topic. It has been really helpful. I went and bought the TP-Link WA701N v1 with the hope of extending my Infinity wireless broadband that for some reason just does not reach the back of the house. The home hub 3 is in my office at the front.

I tried with the access point using powerlines and got it to work apart from the fact that I could not roam between the two and kept getting kicked out. I saw your note about issues with the HH3.

I then thought I would try the universal repeater method. The problem is that the wifi signal does not drop gradually between the front and back of the house. There is a definite place where there is a very large drop in signal. I tried putting the repeater near there but it just would not see to cross the line. I am guessing that there must be a steel in the ceiling or something that is disrupting the signal.

Any advice? Is it possible to take the universal repeater method from a powerline or does that only work for wireless signals?

Thanks again

David

0 Ratings