Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 210 of 247

Re: Extending Wireless Range of Home Hubs - Information

Go to solution

Just change it into the access mode, and you can then connect it to the end of the powerline adapter, like as shown here.

http://forumhelp.dyndns.info/networking/powerlinewireless.jpg

There is a config file for the access mode, and a couple of images on my instruction site.

0 Ratings
zeidbop
Beginner
Message 211 of 247

Go to solution
Thank you, I did that but I was not able to roam between the two sources. What is more I kept losing my connection on one machine even when stationary.

David
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 212 of 247

Go to solution

If you have a HH3 version B, then you cannot roam between the locations.

Where did you lose the connection, at the HH3 end or the TP link end?

Did you select a different channel for the access point, and made sure that the home hubs smart wireless was turned off, and locked to a channel which was at least two channels away from the AP?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
zeidbop
Beginner
Message 213 of 247

Go to solution
Yes, type B. I think that the laptop was connected to the HH3 and then kept getting thrown out.

I cannot say whether the channel that was selected was at least two away from the AP. I know that the smart wireless was turned off and I was and am fixed to channel 11.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 214 of 247

Go to solution

I think the issue is with the HH3, if it detects the laptop connecting to the access point, it will drop its own connection.

There is no easy solution apart from turning off the HH3 wireless, and using two separate access point instead.

This issue has been reported many times.

Its a pity you could not locate the repeater somewhere, as this overcomes the roamimg issue.

0 Ratings
zeidbop
Beginner
Message 215 of 247

Go to solution

Yes, I have not given up. I am going to try some different locations for the repeater.

One thought is to get rid of the HH3 and replace it with a TP-Link TD-W8960N which I used to use pre-BT (I saw the guide to doing that on your site). But that will have to wait until I get a network switch to replace the lost network port. That way I can hopefully roam between the two.

Thanks

David

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 216 of 247

Go to solution

If you are on Infinity, then the TP-Link TL-WR1043ND  would be a much better option.

0 Ratings
zeidbop
Beginner
Message 217 of 247

Go to solution
Thanks. I will look into it. I was only thinking of the TP-Link TD-W8960N as I already have one but if I was going to anyway buy a switch it seems better to just buy a better router.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 218 of 247

Go to solution

If you already have one, then you may as well use it, as it works fine on Infinity according to other members.

You should have no problem with adding an access point to that, but remember to make sure they are both on the same subnet.

0 Ratings
mack848
Beginner
Message 219 of 247

Go to solution

Hi Keith

I scanned through this 23 page thread and have spent approx 6 hours trying to get this sorted.

I have a TL-WA701ND v2  and a HH3.  I originally used the Quick Setup option in the TP_Link software and it appeared to go smoothly.  The wifi light on the TP_Link is lit - but I get no improvement in wifi range or strength.  Since then I have tried numerous permutations of IP addresses and security levels - without success.

I don't get the AP_UP option in the menu, so don't know how to check if I am connected.

Do I need to give up and send it back, or do you know of people who have managed to set this up with the two bits of kit I have?  Any help would be very much appreciated.

Mack

0 Ratings