Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
starship
Contributor
Message 31 of 51

Re: Extending Wireless Range of Home Hubs - Information

Go to solution

Keith. Would love to see the images, if i could find your web site.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 32 of 51

Go to solution

@starship wrote:

Keith. Would love to see the images, if i could find your web site.

I gave it to you earlier.

Instructions

starship
Contributor
Message 33 of 51

Go to solution

Keith.

Got it,

Yes i have version one. I am going to have a go at this tomorrow, when all is quite in the house.

Thanks..

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 34 of 51

Go to solution

@starship wrote:

Keith.

Got it,

Yes i have version one. I am going to have a go at this tomorrow, when all is quite in the house.

Thanks..

You should have no problems with version 1, just remember its the access mode you need, if you are running an Ethernet cable from your home hub, to the WA701ND.

You can however test it, with a few metres of Ethernet cable, just to see if you can connect to the extra wireless network.

The other mode, which is the Universal Repeater, does not need cabling, but you need to be able to position the repeater about halfway.

It can also be a bit more tricky to setup.

starship
Contributor
Message 35 of 51

Go to solution

Keith;

Thank for the additional details. This morning i set up the TP-Link as per your instructions, it WAS a lot easier than i first thought.  All set for access point, just need to get a longer Ethernet cable to run over the loft area to get a little closer to the bedrooms. I was hoping to use 15mt cable do you feel this will be ok at this length ?. 

Thank you kindly for keeping and baring with me on this.

Regards..

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 36 of 51

Go to solution

That length should be OK.

Its good to hear that you have the access point working. Remember that you can always save your personal config settings which include the wifi settings.

If you really feel adventurous, you could always try the wireless repeater mode, provided there is somewhere about half way between the home hub and the bedrooms, where you can plug it into a mains socket.

You do not need to run an Ethernet cable, as it operates as a stand alone unit. The only disadvantage is that the throughput is reduced, as the signal has to be received and then re-transmitted.

Its only a case of loading the unirepeater.bin file instead, scanning for the home hub, and entering the wireless password.

starship
Contributor
Message 37 of 51

Go to solution

Keith. I have performed the configiration on the TP-Link as instructions, if the unit is switched off, this won't change the settings will it ?

I am awaiting a longer Enthernet Cable,I can then move the unit to the loft, i will then know for sure if it will make the connection to the bedrooms.

If the above works then there will be no need for the repeater mode. However going through instructions it all became clear, so may well get adventurous.

Also am i able to leave you feed back some where for all your help.

Regards

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 38 of 51

Go to solution

The configuration is remembered when the unit is turned off, but if you want to keep a copy, then use the backup configuraton option on the system menu.

It saves under the default name which is config.bin, but once you have saved it, you can rename the copyto something that you will remember.

Then if you alter it in any way, you can always restore your original settngs. Just remember NOT to reset it to factory default, othewise you will have to go through the whole setup procedure again,as the IP address will revert to 192.168.1.254, which is the same as the home hub, and will cause lots of problems Smiley Sad

starship
Contributor
Message 39 of 51

Go to solution

Keith.

Hi.

Well cable turned up today So i connected the TP-Link to the Home Hub 2 via enthernet cable. switched laptop on, Laptop has various connection modes, BT Home Hub, Wifi and APmode, which i suspect is Access Point, whilst trying to use APmode it keeps asking for a key, but not  sure where i find this. Any ideas.

Thanks..

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 40 of 51

Go to solution

All you need to do is follow my instructions and load the access.bin file from my website, as its the access mode that you need.

You will then need to create your own SSID and wireless key for the access point to use instead of the default one which is "apmode" and the default password of "btcommunityforum"

as shown on these screenshots.

http://forumhelp.dyndns.info/wa701nd/access/apmode1.jpg

http://forumhelp.dyndns.info/wa701nd/access/apmode2.jpg

http://forumhelp.dyndns.info/wa701nd/access/apmode3.jpg

These give you an idea of what you should see.