Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mlsred
Aspiring Contributor
Message 241 of 247

Re: Extending Wireless Range of Home Hubs - Information

Go to solution

Hi Keith/All,

I have just upgraded my BT Home Hub 3 to a Home Hub 4 because the guy at BT I spoke to said the wireless range would be considerably better. Although it is slightly better I still can't get a decent signal in the kitchen or just outside the kitchen in the back garden. I'm not in a big house but the walls are quite thick. The router is probably about 20 feet from the kitchen and about 30 feet from the area in the garden where I want to use it so it didn't seem unreasonable to expect it to reach there.

Will the TP-Link TL-WA701ND still work the same on the home hub 4 do you know? I also have some Home Plugs and wondered if I could use one of those to connect the TL-WA701ND i.e. plug the home plug into one of the kitchen sockets and connect it to the TP-Link TL-WA701ND via an RJ45 cable?

Any help would be appreciated.

I actually managed to temporarily put the hub in the hallway of my house to test and the signal was much better. Unfortunately due to the location of the phone point and power sockets I can’t leave it there..  I am considering drilling a hole in the wall and mounting the router on a shelf just so I can get a better signal.. I might wait for my wife to go out before I do that though Smiley Wink

Thanks

Michael

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 242 of 247

Go to solution

Yes, the WA701ND will work fine, I use two of them here.

There are some diagrams on these pages which should help to answer your questions.

How do you connect your computer to the BT home hub?

and

Increasing wireless range using a TP-Link TL-WA701ND

0 Ratings
mlsred
Aspiring Contributor
Message 243 of 247

Go to solution

Thanks Keith,

The TL-WA701ND turned up today and I have just set it up wirelessly for the moment... Seems to be working well..

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 244 of 247

Go to solution

@mlsred wrote:

Thanks Keith,

The TL-WA701ND turned up today and I have just set it up wirelessly for the moment... Seems to be working well..

The wireless repeater mode seems to work quite well, although during tests, my Android phone had a few issues connecting the the repeater output, which did resolve themselves when I changed the encryption mode.

0 Ratings
mlsred
Aspiring Contributor
Message 245 of 247

Go to solution
Thanks again Keith

Still seems to be working well wirelessly. . I may try one of the power line adapters today to see what difference that makes. If I do use a power adapter to connect to the TL device from the HH do I need to change the settings on theTL? I assume the only benefit of doing this via the power adapters is that it will increase the speed? I don't suppose it make any difference tithe range?

Cheers
Michael
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 246 of 247

Go to solution

If you are using a home hub 3b, then if you try and use the TL as an access point, via powerline adapters, then you may have problems with wireless devices roaming between the home hub, and the TL.

This is an issue with the H3b, which is due to be addressed sometime in the future.

An access point will give you more speed, as it does not have to repeat the signals. Details are in my website document.

Save your current TL config first, as it makes it easiet to revert back, if thing do not work out.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 247 of 247

Go to solution

Jus a quick update to this thread, as it seems to get a lot of views on my website.

BT have their own range of devices to extend the wireless range, which are simple to setup and you do not need to mess around changing IP addresses.

BT Connected Home Range of devices to extend broadband and boost wireless range

These have been field trialled, and seem to work without any problems.

This is the full range.

BT Connected Home

0 Ratings