Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 180 of 247

Re: Extending Wireless Range of Home Hubs - Information

Go to solution

Its the devices themselves that are failing to see the repeater becuse it has a different BSSID (Wireless MAC address), while the SSID is the same.

This can normally be cured by rescanning for wireless networks on the device itself, so it can record the additional BSSID that is associated with the SSID.

Which type of devices are not seeing the repeater, but are locking onto the home hub instead?

Sometimes it can be an encryption issue. Its usually best to set the home hub to WPA only, and the same for the repeater.

0 Ratings
darylt66
Contributor
Message 181 of 247

Go to solution

Interesting - I can see what your saying and this may be the issue - how can I check on each device if it has picked up the extra BSSID for reapeater after rescanning and where do i check to see what is the the Wireless MAC address for repeater (for checking purposes on devices after re-scanning)?

Devices that cant see the repeater are laptops and mobile phones - I have 3 laptops - some of them do see the repeater some of them dont. Will change home hub and repeater to WPA only when I get home tonight.

Thanks again,

Daryl

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 182 of 247

Go to solution

Most Windows devices cannot tell you the BSSID (MAC). Programs like InSSIDer will display this information.

You might like to run this program on a Windows laptop that is not connecting, and see if you can see two SSIDS the same, but with a different BSSID.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, some wireless adapters need to be able to record this information. If you think of BT FON for instance. All the hotspots have the same SSID, but different BSSIDs, and Windows sometimes needs to be manually connected to a new hotspot for it to remember it.

Most of this is down to the individual wireless cards and whether you are using Windows Zero Configuration to manage the connection.

Are the phones Andriod phones?

Anyway, despite it taking a long time to sort out, you are learning a lot about wireless connections, so do not be discouraged.

If you read all of this thread, you will see that other people initially had problems, but soon sorted them out Smiley Wink

From what I can see, you have it working on some devices, if they are seeing a strong signal, and can connect to the Internet.

With wireless repeaters, there is no easy plug and play option as people have already discovered. The home hubs that are enabled for FON/BT wifi, are more difficult, as there are multiple BSSIDs, and without manual configuration, the wireless repeater will not know which one to repeat.

0 Ratings
darylt66
Contributor
Message 183 of 247

Go to solution

Thank you Keith - you are right - I know more now about wireless etc now than I ever did before!! Will give it another go this evening. The phones are not Android - In the house we have an Iphone and a Blackberry. we also have a couple of Ipods, 2 desktop computers and 3 laptops.

Daryl

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 184 of 247

Go to solution

It can take a while to figure out, but once it does it will all make sense. I am not sure how the Iphone deals with multiple BSSIDs, but it must work, otherwise people could not connect to BT wifi with an Iphone.

At a guess, I would suspect that you have to do a rescan of some sorts, when you are close to the repeater, then select the stronger of the two signals. I am not sure about the Blackberry, but it must be able to cope, otherwise it would fail on many occasions.

Wireless repeaters are in common use in commercial premises, and quite often you will see the same SSID being transmitted in different parts of a building, and laptops and phones are quite happy to connect to them.

0 Ratings
darylt66
Contributor
Message 185 of 247

Go to solution

Keith,

In your last post you state -

"At a guess, I would suspect that you have to do a rescan of some sorts, when you are close to the repeater, then select the stronger of the two signals.

Where would I see two signals? - in the wirless list there is only one SSID listed (I think)??

Thanks,

Daryl

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 186 of 247

Go to solution

Its going to depend a bit on the device. My Andriod phone will show many BT wifi entries in its list of wireless networks, but only one is active.

What you could try, it to actually delete the wireless entry for the home hub, then do a rescan close to the repeater, then recreate the connection by connecting to it. If it does not connect, then recheck that you have the correct wireless key and encryption settings in the repeater.

I am still a bit concerned that you cannout see the AP-UP indication onthe repeater, especially as its mentioned in the manual.

I do not have a version 2 device, but its certainly present on version 1 as it is shown here.

http://forumhelp.dyndns.info/wa701nd/repeater/unirepeater3.jpg

0 Ratings
darylt66
Contributor
Message 187 of 247

Go to solution

Hi Keith,

Will give your suggestions a go this evening.

Yes, I agree with you on the AP-Up - It is shown in the manual but not as a possible current status option in the Wireless statistics help panel on that page (see previous post yesterday).

Could the software have been updated since production of manual?

I am more now inclined to think (as per your advice)  that the devices are at fault and not the AP as it is working fine on one laptop and the AP status screen does show a lot of Packets activity.

Daryl

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 188 of 247

Go to solution

It is a bit odd about the AP-UP indication, as its the only way of telling if the repeater can "see" the home hub.

I don`t think the devices are actually faulty, they just need to "learn" what is going on. It quite possible that they are going to see the same SSID at different places.

Think of places that provide "The Cloud" WiFi. They all radiate  "The Cloud" as an SSID, but have different BSSIDs.

The same goes for Travelodge, who use "Wifi Zone".

My guess is that its seeing a different encryption type for the repeater. That is why I would recommend setting the home hub to WPA only and not WPA/WPA2, to avoid any confusion.

When I initially setup and tested the device, I set my home hub and the repeater to WPA. So try that, and also make sure the repeater is set to WPA, and not WPA2.

0 Ratings
darylt66
Contributor
Message 189 of 247

Go to solution

Changing the security to WPA only  will be my first port of call this evening for both BT hub 3 and Repeater - I will feedback to you once I have a go.

Many thanks,

Daryl

0 Ratings