cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9

Re: Full Fibre 900 WiFi speeds

I’m having ongoing Wi-fi speed issues on the 900mb Halo 3 package.

When I called a few months ago about it, they suggested upgrading my package to include the discs, although they would only send me one.

Very little improvement led to 2 subsequent phone calls and 2 subsequent discs.

I have the latest iPhone, pro model and I’m using Smarthub 2.

If I hold my phone next to the hub, the best speed I get is about 200 down.

Im in the office one sat 6 feet from a disc with an “excellent” connection and I’m getting 60-70 down.

Called BT again and they’ve upgraded me again to BT Halo 3. My 4G router is installed and I’ve got a home tech visit booked Monday.

Having read here before posting, it sounds like I see how Monday goes and if no better, as I’m stuck in contract I need to spend £250 on an ASUS AX6000?

Will that definitely improve things? How do I connect it?

ps it’s a new build house, with paper walls so no idea why Wi-fi so poor

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

@Geoggy21 

it sounds like I see how Monday goes and if no better, as I’m stuck in contract I need to spend £250 on an ASUS AX6000?

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Well it sounds like you read what was going on before you took the 900 / 110package out so it will come as no surprise that upgrading the router WILL 99.9% end your problems.

End your misery bite the bullet and purchase the Asus you suggested.

You can spend an hour reading previous posts on this forum where this sorted almost everyone out.

Good luck although you won't need it.

PS: Username & Password are exactly the same as you entered in the Smart Hub 2. 😉

___________________________________________________________________________________________
Say thanks by clicking the Thumbs Up icon. Have I resolved your issue? Click "Mark As Accepted Solution"
Message 3 of 9

Hi - thanks. I don’t understand your PS?

Will the BT discs still work with the Asus?

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 9

@Geoggy21 

You asked a question.

Sorry I presumed you were asking about the sign in details.

Just unplug the CAT5 cable and power from the Smart Hub 2 and connect the CAT5 back into the new Asus router using it's own supplied power source.

Hope I made sense there.😂

___________________________________________________________________________________________
Say thanks by clicking the Thumbs Up icon. Have I resolved your issue? Click "Mark As Accepted Solution"
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 9

Ah ok - so I basically don’t use the Smarthub 2 at all? 

I thought you might connect the ASUS  to the SH2 with Ethernet cable

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 9

A few points.

It depends what the problem is whether a third party router will help.

If you have the black discs they will only work with the BT hub, the white discs will work with any router.

You can just connect the third party router directly to the ONT. You will need to enter the generic PPPoE credentials of username bthomehub@btbroadband.com and password BT.

If you use Digital Voice, the SH2 will need to remain connected to the ONT making connection to a third party router more complicated.

Message 7 of 9

How do I find out if I use digital voice? I guess I must do as it is a new build and there is no “phone line” as such.

It’s the black discs, so that would render them useless. Damn.
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 9

You will have a digital voice handset for 'landline' calls. If you don't use the landline and only use a mobile you don't need the BT hub.

Is it just wifi that is slow or Ethernet connections as well?

Have you tried making a direct PPPoE Ethernet connection to the ONT directly from a laptop to eliminate the hub as the problem?

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 9

I had issues with my speed and speed dropping every few days, I purchased an Asus RT-AX86U 5700 and all my issues have disappeared, I know we should not have to buy our own hardware bit I'm really glad I did and I got a good will gesture from BT because I was having these issues which helped towards the purchase of the new router.

0 Ratings