cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Rotarua674
Contributor
Message 1 of 7

Re: HELP HH6 blue light but no internet

Glad you got it sorted with a third party router.  I have had 2 months of intermittent blue light  but no internet connection as you descrribeon the HH5.  This came after three months of orange lights and over 150 drops of service from a few minutes to 7 hours at the start of the year.

We solved the orange light problem by downgrading from a Smarthub to a HH5.   We did that after months of "expert" BT advice which all proved basically to be incorrect.  BT insisted too that we had multiple Openreach visits which every single time confirmed that there was no problem with the set-up and wiring in my house.  Moving to the HH5 worked for for three months until this current blue light problem started.

I think BT really has to consider if it has a problem with the routers it supplies.  My next move will perhaps have to be to the  TP TD-W9970 recommended on here but I am annoyed that months of bad service might be caused by poor ISP supplied routers.

Surely, in the end, if they generate fewer problems, cals and engineer visits, BT woudl save money supplying better, more stable routers.

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Its simply down to price, and providing something that is easy for BT to fault find, as a factory reset fixes most things for quite a while, until the internal software tables fill up, just as they did with the home hub 1.

Marketing plays a major role, you only have to see the amount of money spent on advertising, to attract new customers with something that looks "smart" and fits in with the decor, with no aerials sticking out.

For most customers, with a basic network, the home hubs are just fine, but inherent legacy issues within the code, starts to show themselves, once you have a more complex network.

An older thread which may be of interest.

https://community.bt.com/t5/Home-setup-Wi-Fi-network/Devices-list-hub6/td-p/1737322

I think the hub team are  overcoming some problems, like the dropping of connection when uploading, due to flow control issues, but some "features" are always going to be there, without a total re-write of the code.

0 Ratings
Rotarua674
Contributor
Message 3 of 7

Thanks for the replies and ideas.  BT have got back to me and their explanation sounds strange.  Their explanation for my blue light on the router and 0Mbps on an Ethernet connected computer is as follows.   (These outages last 10-25 minutes.)  BT say we have “too many devices’.

Now, of course I know the more WiFi devices you have the more it will slow the WiFi.  But that’s not the issue.  We have been getting periods of no broadband connection on the Ethernet connected computer.... spotted when we can’t load webpages etc. This isn’t a WiFi matter at all.

We do have quite a few devices but only those promoted by the BT “smart home” webpages and sold in the BT online shop.  These pages specifically mention having multiple devices around the home and don’t have my footnotes or mentions that following their recommendations will result in 0Mbps incoming broadband.

We’ve got another engineer coming at BT’s insistence - the third in recent weeks but our home has repeatedly been given a clean bill of health.

Surely if BT’s broadband product can’t handle what they promote as a smart home,  BT should inform customers in its promotion and sales material that several devices will impact the incoming broadband.  

Either BT’s broadband isn’t fit for the “smart home” products and functions it promotes and sells... or it should be open about limitations which will cause the incoming broadband to sink to 0Mbps at the router.

Of course, that’s assuming BT ‘s explanation is credible.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 7

@Rotarua674 wrote:

Of course, that’s assuming BT ‘s explanation is credible.

It isn't.

The Smarthub/Homehub should in theory be able to handle over 200 devices connected. Obviously as you have said, the throughput would suffer if that number of devices were making demands at the same time.

If you are loosing the Internet connection it is either a line/connection fault or a fault with the Smarthub. It has nothing to do with the number of devices you have connected.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Rotarua674
Contributor
Message 5 of 7

Thanks for this.  I think BT's diagnosis is even more doubtful because some of our "too many devices" are things like Philips Hue lightbulbs which surely can't put a strain on the BT broadband and aren't even working most of the time.

We have an engineer coming today so that BT can justify its "final position" that we have too many devices.  So one clarification would help please from anyonw with the knowledge to comment.

I know and have always accepted that the number of devices will affect our wifi because the bandwidthis being shared.  That's my responsibility andnot BTs.  Even so, that isn't the problem we're getting.

Could "too many devices" (most of them inactive with only maybe 2-3 even working at any one time) cause the router to drop to 0 Mbps incoming at the HH5 measured on an ethernet connected computer? My understanding is that wifi devices will slow down wifi because of sharing badnwidth but the router registering 0 Mbps coming into the house is a different problem .

I am going to take the advice about a better router but want to be clear about BT's promotion and sale of "smart home" devices which they later say causes the roouter to drop to 0.

Thanks again to everyone who has given comments or advice.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 7

@Rotarua674 wrote:

Thanks for this.  I think BT's diagnosis is even more doubtful because some of our "too many devices" are things like Philips Hue lightbulbs which surely can't put a strain on the BT broadband and aren't even working most of the time.

I know and have always accepted that the number of devices will affect our wifi because the bandwidthis being shared.  That's my responsibility andnot BTs.  Even so, that isn't the problem we're getting.

I am going to take the advice about a better router but want to be clear about BT's promotion and sale of "smart home" devices which they later say causes the roouter to drop to 0.

Thanks again to everyone who has given comments or advice.

Its very easy to prove whether its the home hub, and that is to use a different router.

The TP-Link TD-W9970 is not expensive, and seems to have no problems with lots of devices, including "smart" IOT devices like Google minis. My daughter has 32 different devices connected at her house.

Examples Google-Home-Mini, XboxOne, Philips-hue, two Now TV boxes, Chromecast, three iPhones, BT YouView, LG Smart TV, Nintendo Wii, three Apple watches, four laptops, Canon printer, and many others.

If you have one specific device hogging all of the bandwidth, then you can assign it a lower priority, or even restrict its bandwidth.

You can of course buy a more expensive router if you wish.

All of the home hubs seem to have a problem with the DHCP table filling up with redundant entries, with the result that devices cannot get a valid network configuration, so they lose connection to the Internet. The more devices you have, the quicker it will fill up.

The only way to clear the DHCP table, is with a factory reset of the home hub, but eventually the problem will re-occur.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 7

@Rotarua674 I have moved your thread to this new one, as the original one was marked as solved.

This is was the solved thread https://community.bt.com/t5/Home-setup-Wi-Fi-network/HELP-HH6-blue-light-but-no-internet/td-p/188242...

0 Ratings