cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SwearyMary
Message 1 of 4

Re: HH3 - Infinity - slow wireless

Hello everyone

I'm just adding my bt HH3 type A to the list doing weird things.

I first noticed it on Wednesday last week. The hub fades and after anywhere between 10 - 40 minutes I lose all internet connection.

I rang BT's report a fault number 0800 111 4567 and a very helpful gentleman somewhere on the Indian subcontinent showed me how to change the channel from smart search to something else. I was asked to observe and he promised a call back in four hours. He rang back and said that there was a critial fault on the line and that he would be referring me to the 2 Group for repairs because he wasn't authorised to fix it. Group 2 repair would ring me between 10.15 and 11.15 the next day (Saturday) he explained - I even got a text to my landline phone to confirm that.

Group 2 failed to phone. I rang the fault number again and was told they'd get Group 2 right on it. A few minutes later the Group 2 guy rang, said there was a problem with my wireless router and that he would have to refer my case to the next tier up for repair. Expert Repair would ring me within the next 24 hours he promised. They didn't.

Sunday, after Expert Repair had failed to call, I rang the 0800 number again and found my complaint number. A lad called Krish worked through some new efforts to fix it: First we reset the hub to factory settings, then he got me to take the front off the box thing on the wall but I couldn't plug the socket from the modem? (white thing with twinkly green lights - that's a technical term) into it because the plug was the wrong shape. He told me he would ring between 4 and 4.30 today. He hasn't but someone did ring yesterday at around 6.00 pm and left a message.

The only way round it is to visit this page: http://192.168.1.254/ go to settings, wireless and change the channel the way I notice some of you guys have been doing.

So, today, I just made sure I kept the hub admin page open and changed the channel every 10 minutes. When I forgot it dropped again but otherwise, all has been fine... except that I'm not sure that having a server I have to manually manipulate every 10 minutes in order to maintain a functioning internet connection is exactly fulfilling our contract on BT's part.

I am shortly going to ring the 0800 number again... but since BT has held me in an eternal 24 hour loop since Wednesday I hold out little hope.

So, my question is this: If I call out an engineer to replace what is clearly a faulty HH3 - even if it's a type A not a type B - will I be charged? Or, should I just bin the BT Hub and get a wireless router from somewhere else?

Any ideas advice hugely appreciated?

Cheers

MTM

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 4

as you still in your minimum term contract or has that finisihed and you are now on rolling monthly contract.  if former then replacement hub should be free and you should phone customer services and compalin that you need a replacement hub  if latter then your hub is no longer in guarantee so you will be charged

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
SwearyMary
Message 3 of 4

Hello imjolly, thank you. We're on a rolling contract so I should imagine we'd have to pay.

I spent another hour and a half on the phone to India tonight. Basically after 15 minutes on hold while the chap rang Group 2 he told me my ticket went to Group 2 who found that there is a line fault at the exchange but also diagnosed a faulty hub and passed it to Group 1 who send out replacement hubs. He said it sounded as if we did need a new hub and he would ask his manager for authorisation to send one. After a few minutes on hold he reappeared and told me that the manager had said no and that I must test every channel first. I must choose a channel and then not touch it for 24 hours. Eventually, he assures me, his manager says one will work. Apparently I have to do this for all 13 channels before they will contemplate sending me a new box. So that means about 10 minutes of internet connection a day for the next 13 days.

They will ring me between 6pm and 8pm tomorrow to see if things are any better on the first channel. Let's hope Chanel 13 works better than Channel 5 did on Thursday.

Marvellous.

I have a big work thing coming up at the end of next month. Organising my side of that is going to be interesting without proper e-mail, the ability to work on collaborative documents on line or any facility to upload and download large files. I particularly enjoy typing the same things into on line forms again and again only to have the connection drop just as I click send. Methinks I will be spending a fair bit of time in the library and the various cafes in my town which provide free wifi over the next month.

Still on the upside, if it's a rolling contract so we will probably just have to up sticks and go with another provider.

Cheers

MTM

Edited out slightly ranty last sentence.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 4

Why not just buy a cheap router rather than pay for a new hub. Any router with a WAN port will do.

Edit: Alternatively if you want a one box solution, buy a combined VDSL Modem/ Router to replace both your existing boxes.

0 Ratings