Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TheHustler83
Beginner
Message 1 of 10

Re: HH6 with no WAN port

Go to solution

Hi, can you tell me what setup you used without the WAN port.

Did you just plug into the telephone socket?

Did you have to swith off the openreach modem?

Many thanks in advance.

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Go to solution

Just connect the DSL port on the HH to the phone socket. The modem will no longer be used.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Andunemir
Beginner
Message 3 of 10

Go to solution

Like licquorice said, you can just directly connect from socket to hub, no need for the modem anymore.

0 Ratings
TheHustler83
Beginner
Message 4 of 10

Go to solution
Thanks for the replies.

Do I need to use the telephone socket the openreach modem is using (which is under the stairs) or can I use another telephone socket?

I only ask because I have a Ethernet cable plugged into my HH5 from an android box at present. If I have to move the HH6 to under the stairs, I would be no longer able to use the Ethernet cable to my android box?

This would surely effect the speeds for video streaming etc if it can only be done over a wireless network?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 10

Go to solution

How is the modem connected to the home hub 5 at the moment?

If its connected by Ethernet connection, then you can re-use that connection to run directly from the HH6 located under the stairs, to your Android box.

The HH6 will plugged into the same place as the Openreach modem.

PS I have moved your posts to this new thread, as the original one by @Andunemirwas marked as solved.

0 Ratings
TheHustler83
Beginner
Message 6 of 10

Go to solution
Hi - thanks.

The HH5 is connected to the openreach modem via the WAN port in the back of the router. The HH5 is therefore in the living room next to the android box - the Ethernet cable is then plugged into the android box 20cm away.

If what you are saying and from what I have read, I will need to plug the new HH6 in under the stairs and next to the modem. I would then have to run an Ethernet cable all the way to my living room in order to connect to the android box to get a wired connection?

Is there no way I can set up my HH6 so that it is in the same location as the HH5 is now. I do have an unused phone line where the HH5 is but it's not the telephone line that comes into the house and where the openreach modem is connected to.

Thank you in advance for your help!
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 10

Go to solution

The Ethernet cable is already there, you are currently using it to connect the modem to the HH5, when you swap the modem and HH5 for the HH6, just use the cable to connect from the HH6 to the android box instead

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 10

Go to solution

No, you just need to use the existing connection that you already have, which runs from the Openreach modem to the HH5 WAN port.

The HH6 will go under the stairs, and the existing Ethernet cable will then run to the lounge.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 10

Go to solution

IMG_0004.jpg

TheHustler83
Beginner
Message 10 of 10

Go to solution