cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
elderflower
Aspiring Contributor
Message 71 of 80

Re: Home Hub 3 and wireless access points plugged in to the ports

Thanks Keith for the suggestion and one I had not thought of. While your solution would be an answer to the issues it would mean I have more hardware to place on my desk! Also I would use up all my ethernet ports on the HH3 (PS3, laptop, TL-PA211 and TL-WA701ND).

Given the TP-WR1043ND is relatively cheap for what it can do, I think I get this, along with option 1 in my first post. I have no idea if it will allow roaming between the two but you would expect so as they're from the same manufacturer.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 72 of 80

The TP-WR1043ND will be much better than the HH3, so you have made the right decision. It has three external aerials so should give good coverage.

The bandwidth controls will also be useful if you want to give certain devices priority.

It just the HH3 which is fussy about roaming, I would not expect any issues with the TP-WR1043ND.

0 Ratings
elderflower
Aspiring Contributor
Message 73 of 80

Thanks Keith. I have just ordered this and should be arriving in the next few days. Any tips on the setup?

I have also read that the mini CD supplied won't be any good for Macs (which I am on). I assume I will be able to link directly to it and set it up that way? From reading this thread I will set to channel 11 and everything else to auto?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 74 of 80

You should not need a CD, as the devices are setup from a web interface. Just make sure that its IP address does not clash with any that the home hub 3 is using.

0 Ratings
elderflower
Aspiring Contributor
Message 75 of 80

I've received the TP-WR1043ND which works great, a lot more control than HH3. I have now ordered the TL-PA211 and TL-WPA281 kit. I hear the IP for it is set to 192.168.1.1. What do I change the router to?

0 Ratings
elderflower
Aspiring Contributor
Message 76 of 80

Just a quick note to say that the TL-WPA281 works a treat with TL-PA211 and the WR1043ND router. Roams effortlessly between router and AP and the speeds are very good.

The only thing I needed to do prior to connecting everything was to change the IP address to the router, already mentioned before by other people, as the TL-WPA281 and router uses 192.168.1.1 by default. I changed the router to .10.

Very happy.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 77 of 80

Thats good.

The main issue has always been the HH3, and the way it handles network devices. The WR1043ND looks like a very good router.

0 Ratings
sac8165
Beginner
Message 78 of 80

I too am having trouble with cross connecting the HH3 and a Belkin 54g router which I want to use to extend the signal to the back of the house.

You seem to have worked a solution round the HH3 inadequacies.

Can I ask which port on the secondary router did you plug the ethernet cable from the HH3 in to.  The modem port or a Lan port?

Am I right about the DHCP addressing. The HH3 uses 192.168.1.x , so do I set the other router up to use 192.168.2.x ? 

0 Ratings
waterston
Beginner
Message 79 of 80

Very interesting thread. Personally I just gave up and through my Belkin in the back of the cupboard. I set it up as an access spot but it just hung everything.

However, just a thought about ditching the HH3

If you have BT roaming WiFi through BT fon, it may not let you access the internet with a different router. I placed my Belkin as the main router and it would not connect. The option is to turn off Fon but then you lose your free hot spot access - just a thought.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
rjharte
Message 80 of 80

Just wanted to say thank you for posting your problems and solutions on this forum - I had been having major issues getting wireless devices to stay connected to our home hub 3.

A simple and straightforward result was to buy a TP-WR841N for £20 and plug it into the HH3. No settings, CD installation, etc. I've turned off the wireless on the HH3 as I don't need it (but do enjoy BT WiFi in other places so have left Fon etc untouched). Everything seems to be working wonderfully!

0 Ratings