Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mike-B
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 26

Re: Home Hub 5 slows down every day and needs a reset

Go to solution

I have the same, Infinity-1 (52/10)  It looses wireless line speed sometimes a few times each day & sometimes it stays OK for 2 or 3 days,  wired (ethernet) speed is OK @ 51mb/s when wireless is below 10mb/s,  its the same on 2.4 & 5GHz.   I've done all the suggestions on the various forums, split the 2.4 & 5GHz bands, tried diferent channels.   I've been line chatting with BT & spoken to cal centre techie people on the phone.  The last one today told me BT (or any ISP) do not guarrentee wireless speeds, & as the line connection into the house is good & my ethernet connection good they will not do anything.   I asked about BT being aware of this problem & if new firm/software is in the design stage & was told no, nothing is wrong & it is not needed.  This is going nowhere,   BiBi,  I ended the call in total disgust.    

Anyone got info on how to call BT locally as the call centre are as good as useless.

0 Ratings
25 REPLIES 25
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 26

Go to solution

There is no uk number for customer services. It is correct that no ISP guarantees wireless speed and from what you say your internet connection is well within estimated speed. You now need to look at your internal setup and the probability that the slow wireless is due to interference in your home or from neighbour's 

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Mike-B
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 26

Go to solution

I don't accept that.  Prior to Infinity I had a steady & faultless 18 to 20mb/s with my HH4.   With Infinity-1 the HH5 wireless is at the BT spec speed of 50 to 52mb/s sometimes for a few days,  that to me is indicating there is not much wrong with my home or nieghbourhood. The fact that the wireless drops at any time of day & night with no obvious reason, common time or pattern,  that it drops suddenly from 50mb/s to something less than 10mb/s (have seen 2mb/s)  & is refreshed every time by a power cycle (or restart) is indicative of a HH5 wireless problem.    

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 26

Go to solution

As I said no ISP will guarantee speed over wireless but if you think hub is faulty and not a problem within your home Then all you can do is keep trying customer services and try and get a replacement hub. Presumably the download speed is very good on a wired connection 

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Mike-B
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 26

Go to solution

Yes line speed is good over ethernet, I've plugged it in numbers of times when wireless speed crashes to try to determine what is going on.  Today I had 4mb/s on wireless & 51mb/s over ethernet.   I will keep trying BT, if they do supply a new hub all well & good,  but I am not convinced its a bad hub as I would expect it to be faulty all the time,  the fact that its intermittant suggests a firm/software possibilty.    

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 26

Go to solution
Have you tried a factory reset of the HH5?

If it was an intrinsic fault in the software code then it would potentially affect a million or two other Infinity customers. I haven't seen evidence of that.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 26

Go to solution
When the wireless connection drops to a very slow speed is it possible to test the wireless device placed very close to the HomeHub? If that gets a much faster connection then maybe the HH5 isn't faulty and it's some form of interference?
0 Ratings
Mike-B
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 26

Go to solution

No I haven't tried a factory reset,  will do so in morning.

The speed problem is happening when the hub is in the same room as both PC's, both smart phone's & my audio streamer (it does not stream over wireless, but the UPnP media app looses network discovery when the speed goes down)  I've checked signal strength all over the house using inSSIDer & its unchanged no matter if the line speed is 51mb/s or 5mb/s.  Speed is unchanged no matter where I run a wireless line test,  this is normally less than 3m from the hub but have tested on the oposite side/corner of the house aprx 15m & 3brick/block wall in between.

0 Ratings
Mike-B
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 26

Go to solution

Factory reset done 

I have reset the options much as before

Smart Setup - off

2.4 & 5GHz not sync'd     

2.4 set to 802.11 b/g/n (up to 300mb/s)

Channel Selection on Automatic (its was manualy set to Ch-1 & CH-40 before) 

Audio equipment & iPad IP addresses set to reserved DHCP ("Always use this IP" - I use a number within BT licence range)

To add some other info & maybe you folks will understand why I'm so **bleep** off with this,  my wife has a wireless only laptop (no RJ45 ethernet port), we both have smart phones, plus I have an iPad that I use as a control point for audio equipment & when line speed crashes (to around 5mb/s) the iPad to lose its network discovery function.  (maybe thats a clue)    

Speed after the facory reset is 51.5mb/s & 9.5mb/s with 17ms ping ...............  I will give this 3 days & then start to believe I have done something ..............  fingers crossed 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 26

Go to solution

did you also change the SSID so 2.4 and 5ghz are different

0 Ratings