Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dnp
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 17

Re: Hub 6 wireless now unuseable

Go to solution
I have had problems in last few days with both wired and wireless. Network connection is not recognised. I found the problem is that with DHCP the hub dies not broadcast the default gateway. If I use a static address and enter gateway and DNS addresses manually I get an internet connection. Very annoying. But only affects Windows machines. My Android phone connects fine.
0 Ratings
16 REPLIES 16
smf22
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 17

Go to solution

@dnp said "with DHCP the hub dies not broadcast the default gateway".

I'm not sure I follow what you mean here. There is no 'broadcast' of a default gateway IP address as such. Do you mean that the DHCP response from the Home Hub to the Windows client does not contain the router IP address i.e., no option 3?

Regards

0 Ratings
dnp
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 17

Go to solution

All was well until recently. Using DHCP I lost internet on a wired computer and the network showed as 'unidentified'. When I ran ipconfig there was no default gateway address or DNS shown. So configured addresses manually putting 192.168.1.254 as gateway and dns and everything came back. But if I use the setting 'get address automatically' on any windows machine, whether wired or wireless I connect to the network but have no internet connnection.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 17

Go to solution

@dnp

Try disabling IPv6 on the Windows network properties.

Select Start

• In the Start Search field type ncpa.cpl and press the Enter key on your keyboard.
  • In the new window, right-click on your Wireless Network Connection or LAN Connection and select Properties.
  • In the This connection uses the following items section, remove the tick beside (i.e. disable) Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6) and then press OK.

Left click on Internet Protocol IPV4, click on properties. Check the options to obtain IP address and DNS Server address automatically.

This was originally reported as an issue with Sony laptops.

0 Ratings
dnp
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 17

Go to solution

I'll try that - strange it worked up to a week ago, though!

0 Ratings
dnp
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 17

Go to solution

Thanks @Keith_Beddoe. So far so good!

0 Ratings
smf22
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 17

Go to solution

Did you Hub reboot or the line resync a week ago? I originally had IPv6 enabled on my Home Hub 6, but when the line sync'd just over a week ago it was no longer enabled.

Perhaps your Hub wasn't running IPv6, but now is and hence why the problem only recently started.

Regards

0 Ratings
dnp
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 17

Go to solution

I did reboot, but only when I was having connection problems. Trouble is that while everything is working there is no need to check all the settings so I don't know. Anyway as long as it is working now I'm happy and I now have another tip to check if anything stops working again!

0 Ratings
JNation
Message 9 of 17

Go to solution

Hi I'm having the same problem. Got my smart hub in June worked fine for a few months now I am noticing the following problem which only gets resolved on a reboot of the hub:

Wired - I have 3 Windows PC connected to the hub and various consoles. One of the PCs will intermitantly say unable to identy network as per the post above. No matter what i do on the PC it will not get an IP address. It doesnt even know its connected to the Smart Hub. I restart the hub and it works again for a week

Wireless: Same thing only with wireless although one of two things happen. Either devices just do not connect to wireless or if it is connected no internet access. Out of 3 wireless devices I managed to get one to stay connected to the router. When I went on the gateway page for the router all apeared fine and it said it had internet. Blue light on the hub. But the device would not go out to the internet

I can only assume this is some sort of issue in devices registering with the hub and getting IP addresses becuase at no point is my hub light organe and the internet down. When one device doesnt work another will and it make no sense

Getting sick of restarting my hub. Tried BT support all they said was change ethernet cable which has been untouched for 2 years and didnt even bother asking them about wireless as they will just tell me to move the hub. 

Thanks all

0 Ratings
smf22
Recognised Expert
Message 10 of 17

Go to solution

@JNation Can you confirm whether IPv6 is enabled on the Smart Hub? Go to http://192.168.1.254 then check the Status page under Advanced settings -> IPv6. Also have you tried disabling IPv6 as described by @Keith_Beddoe above?

If this is a DHCP issue then you could always assign an IP address on the Windows PCs themselves until BT come up with a fix. Just pick an IP address outside the DHCP range, which by default would be lower than 192.168.1.63.

Note that you should try and avoid restarting the Home Hub too often as this may impact your broadband speed.

Regards

0 Ratings