cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bratman91
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 5

Re: IPlayer buffering

If I watch iPlayer on an iPad, buffering is extremely rare. However, watching  iPlayer on my Panasonic TV is awful, with buffering every few minutes. I have tried Comtrend 902 powerline adapters, and a BT wifi range extender located within a few feet of the TV, all to no avail. Speedtests using my iPad show around 25-35Mbps depending on distance from the router. Other on-demand streaming services on the TV such as Netflix and Amazon Prime Video are far less prone to buffering. Are there any suggestions as to why the TV iPlayer should be so prone to buffering whereas my iPad is not, even when using it a greater distance away from the router than the TV? Could the problem be down to the iPlayer app itself?

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

It may be worth seeing if Panasonic has an update for their iPlayer app.

The iPlayers streams are rate adaptive, but it does rely on the app to send back performance data back to the BBC servers, so the quality can be reduced to remove buffering.

Its possible that the Panasonic app is not doing that. Try reducing the stream to SD and not HD, as that should help.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
bratman91
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 5

Thanks for the prompt response. I already have the iPlayer set to SD.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 5

It may be worth looking on the Panasonic forums to see if anyone else is reporting the same issue, as it appears that only that app is affected. Its not really anything that this BT forum can help with, as its only that app that is affected.

If you have BT YouView, does the BBC catchup work without any issues?

0 Ratings
bratman91
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 5

I will try the Panasonic forums. I do not have Youview.

0 Ratings