cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Albourneboy
Contributor
Message 1 of 10

Re: New BT smart hub causing lots of problems

We are also experiencing problems with a Smart Hub. Bought it last year when BT were offering it at a discount to existing customers. We live in a big, 1912 terraced house and our Home Hub 5 struggled to get a WiFi signal through the whole house. Smart Hub got lots of glowing reviews regarding its WiFi perfomance so we decided to go for it. Initially, we weren't disappointed and the Smart Hub's Wifi is a big improvement on the Home Hub 5.

However, after a month or so, the Smart Hub would lose the internet connection from time to time (orange light on). WiFi was fine but no internet. The connection would go for 5 to 10 mins, then it would connect again and all would be well for a while.

Gradually, these random disconnects/reconnects have occurred more frequently. I have run BT's online checker which says we have a problem but cannot identify what it might be.

On Monday/Tuesday, when I was away on business, the problem suddenly got a whole lot worse with disconnects/reconnects occuring every 15 - 20 mins. The problem persisted all through Tuesday and Wednesday and on Wednesday evening, after a couple of reboots (that made no difference), I tried to connect to the Hub's management system from my computer (via ethernet connection) but was unable to.

I then resorted to pressing the factory reset button. After waiting at least 20 mins for the Smart Hub to restart and reconnect to the internet, I finally managed to access the hub's managerment system and restore all its previous Wifi settings so I wouldn't have to go around dealing with all the complaints from the rest of the family when they discovered that their various devices wouldn't connect.

The factory reset appeared to do the trick and the connection remained stable for the next few hours but when I went to bed at 11pm, I noticed the orange light was on so the internet connection had been dropped yet again. However, all was well when I went to work this morning but I'm not holding my breath!

What's the chances of getting a replacement Smart Hub from BT and if I do, what's the chances of it actually being reliable? There are lots of good routers out there. How easy would it be to replace the Smart Hub with a non-BT product? 

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

@Albourneboy

I have moved your post to this new thread, so you can get personal help from the community or moderators, so please watch this thread for updates.

Dropping of the connection is more likely to be caused by a line fault.

Is there any noise on your phone calls? Dial 17070 and select option 2, there should be no noise between the announcements.

0 Ratings
Albourneboy
Contributor
Message 3 of 10

OK Keith and many thanks. I can't test the line for noise until I get home from work but I'll give that a go this evening.

I understand your comment about a line fault causing dropped connections but I wouldn't have thought that a line fault would prevent me from logging on to the Smart Hub. I had to do the factory reset before I could do that.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 10

A line fault would not stop you logging into the home hub, as that access is via your local network.

External or internal line noise, or high resistance joints, are the usual reason for dropped connections, especially if people hardly use their landline phone. They would not be aware of any noise on the line, also not using the phone caused other issues as described on this post, which applies to both ADSL and BT Infinity.

https://community.bt.com/t5/ADSL-Copper-Broadband-Speed/No-Internet-and-horrible-bt-customer-service...

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Albourneboy
Contributor
Message 5 of 10

I've did the quiet test on the line and it's not bad though I'm no expert. A very slight background noise (almost inaudible hiss) that's all but as yet I'm unable to do the test at the master socket as it's too much hassle to get our phone to it and I couldn't find a cheap enough wired phone. Will visit Argos tomorrow to see what they have. Our phone is at the end of a long extension so that could have been the cause of the slight noise.

My wife tells me the connection has been better today than the last 3 days but still drops out occasionally. Just checked the Smart Hub's log and it's been up for 2 and 1/2 hours.

0 Ratings
Albourneboy
Contributor
Message 6 of 10

Did a quiet test from the master socket this evening. Total silence so it's not noise that's causing the connection to drop out. It's not as bad as it was but it's still doing it. Must be the Smart Hub. Can anybody recommend a replacement?
0 Ratings
Liam_
Expert
Message 7 of 10

There are quite a few modem/routers to choose from.  Asus, Billion, TP-Link are popular.  There are others like DrayTek and FritzBox,  where the cheaper models begin around the £130+ mark.  TP-Link have some good ones with prices starting around £40 or less, depending on the seller.  Look for one that has VDSL support, gives some future proofing if you are on ADSL at the moment.  Don't forget to be sure the one you like has all the features you will need.

The TP-Link VR600 is quite popular has all the features you are likely to need and costs around £90 or less.

They all come with some kind of setup wizard, even so, if you decide on one post back with model number and someone will be able to assist with the setup.

Avoid Netgear, they don't support IPv6 and say they aren't intending to do any fixes.

0 Ratings
Albourneboy
Contributor
Message 8 of 10

Am giving up on the smart hub. Have ordered the TP-Link VR600 from Amazon. Ariives tomorrow so may be back asking for help tomorrow to connect it to BT infinity unless the wizard can do it for me. I'm not very good when it comes to networking.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 10

The wizard will do it for you. All you will need is to enter the username bthomehub@btbroadband.com and the password BT

0 Ratings
Albourneboy
Contributor
Message 10 of 10

Thanks for that Licquorice
0 Ratings