cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ronecc
Beginner
Message 1 of 15

Re: New bt infinity wireless speeds home hub 5 poor on some computers not others!? Help please :)

So, what difference does turning off the Smart Setup do? Mine and my wife's laptops have both slowed down since going onto Infinity. The download speed is good but not the computers.
0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 15

Re: New bt infinity wireless speeds home hub 5 poor on some computers not others!? Help please :)

"Smart Set Up" can cause problems with some computers if the user does not click on the setup procedures when they first connect to the Homehub. It causes a wizard to run in the back ground which can slow things down.

It may not be the cause of your problem but it is worth checking that it is turned off. You do not need it in order to connect to the Internet. Likewise if you have BTDesktop Help installed on your computers. It can also cause problems and I would recommend that if you have it installed that you un-install it.

0 Ratings
ronecc
Beginner
Message 3 of 15

Thanks, I have done both things, although I have only just installed Desktop Help, (which wasn't ant help) The download has not improved and continues to freeze the computer until I start Task Manager. Once that starts the web page will usually open.
Somebody did say that the DNS address has to be the same on the computer and the Router. Trouble is there are a few DNS numbers and non of them match. Home Hub 5 is supposed to do all the changes automatically, but it does not appear to have done that. It is just which DNS number to change my computer to.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 15

I strongly recommend that you do not install BT Desktop Help. It is not needed on your computer and can cause more problems than it ever solves.

You should not need to change your DNS settings on your computer. You should just leave them set to Obtain Automatically. If you do want to change them you could try Google DNS which is 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 

0 Ratings
ronecc
Beginner
Message 5 of 15

Laptops slowed down since Fibre was installed

I have tried to find my last post about this, but have been unable, so I will ask again.

Since changing to BT Infinity both my laptops have slowed down whilst browsing.

I am getting 39mbps download,both wireless and hard wired. The problem is when I click on a Google search it will take upto 20 seconds to connect to the search page. When I then click on an address to go to, it can take another 10-20 seconds to connect, that is, if it does not lock my screen. Even working my way through this BT site takes ages, after clicking each link. The only way to get it working, when locked, is to start Task Manager (on both computer this happens). Seems a strange coincedence.

The Internet adaptors are 'g', but the 2.4 ghz is supposed to be compliant with 'g'.

I have run a few checks through the hub, don't know if this will help. This reading is off one laptop only.

Information for Helpdesk agents
When contacting the BT Broadband helpdesk, the agent might ask you for details about your BT Home Hub. This page contains all of the information they are likely to request.

1. Product name:BT Home Hub
2. Serial number:+068543+NQ41011309
3. Firmware version:Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.173.1.6 (Type A) Last updated 20/05/14
4. Board version:BT Hub 5A
5. VDSL uptime:2 days, 19:15:19
6. Data rate:9995 / 39993
7. Maximum data rate:17287 / 79805
8. Noise margin:11.5 / 17.7
9. Line attenuation:0.0 / 13.5
10. Signal attenuation:0.0 / 13.5
11. Data sent/received:191.6 MB / 1.6 GB
12. Broadband username:bthomehub@btbroadband.com
13. BT Wi-fi:Yes
14. 2.4 GHz Wireless network/SSID:BTHub5-FR98
15. 2.4 GHz Wireless connections:Enabled (802.11 b/g/n (up to 150 Mb/s)) 20 MHz, WPS enabled
16. 2.4 GHz Wireless security:WPA2
17. 2.4 GHz Wireless channel:Automatic (Smart Wireless)
18. 2.4 GHz Wireless network/SSID:BTWiFi-with-FON
19. 2.4 GHz Wireless connections:Enabled (802.11 b/g/n (up to 150 Mb/s)) 20 MHz, WPS disabled
20. 2.4 GHz Wireless security:None
21. 2.4 GHz Wireless channel:Automatic (Smart Wireless)
22. 2.4 GHz Wireless network/SSID: 
23. 2.4 GHz Wireless connections:Enabled (802.11 b/g/n (up to 150 Mb/s)) 20 MHz, WPS disabled
24. 2.4 GHz Wireless security:None
25. 2.4 GHz Wireless channel:Automatic (Smart Wireless)
26. 2.4 GHz Wireless network/SSID:Auto-BTWiFi
27. 2.4 GHz Wireless connections:Disabled
28. 2.4 GHz Wireless security:None
29. 2.4 GHz Wireless channel:Automatic (Smart Wireless)
30. 2.4 GHz Wireless network/SSID: 
31. 2.4 GHz Wireless connections:Disabled
32. 2.4 GHz Wireless security:None
33. 2.4 GHz Wireless channel:Automatic (Smart Wireless)
34. 5 GHz Wireless network/SSID:BTHub5-FR98
35. 5 GHz Wireless connections:Enabled (802.11 a/n/ac (up to 1300 Mb/s)) 80 MHz, WPS enabled
36. 5 GHz Wireless security:WPA2
37. 5 GHz Wireless channel:Automatic (Smart Wireless)
38. 5 GHz Wireless network/SSID:BTWiFi-with-FON
39. 5 GHz Wireless connections:Enabled (802.11 a/n/ac (up to 1300 Mb/s)) 80 MHz, WPS disabled
40. 5 GHz Wireless security:None
41. 5 GHz Wireless channel:Automatic (Smart Wireless)
42. 5 GHz Wireless network/SSID: 
43. 5 GHz Wireless connections:Enabled (802.11 a/n/ac (up to 1300 Mb/s)) 80 MHz, WPS disabled
44. 5 GHz Wireless security:None
45. 5 GHz Wireless channel:Automatic (Smart Wireless)
46. 5 GHz Wireless network/SSID:Auto-BTWiFi
47. 5 GHz Wireless connections:Disabled
48. 5 GHz Wireless security:None
49. 5 GHz Wireless channel:Automatic (Smart Wireless)
50. 5 GHz Wireless network/SSID: 
51. 5 GHz Wireless connections:Disabled
52. 5 GHz Wireless security:None
53. 5 GHz Wireless channel:Automatic (Smart Wireless)
54. Firewall:Default
55. MAC Address:34:8a:ae:b7:44:ba
56. Software variant:-
57. Boot loader:-
BT Home Hub 5 (Type A) | Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.173.1.6 | Last updated 20/05/14
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 15

Re: Laptops slowed down since Fibre was installed

I have merged your previous post with most recent   did you try the things suggested especially splitting the 2.4 and 5ghz ssids so you can connect to each separately?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 15

Re: Laptops slowed down since Fibre was installed

Are you on Infinity 1 or Infinity 2.

Your stats indicate Infinity 1. If it is you are getting good speeds.

If your network cards are running on "g" I assume you have pretty old laptops.

The first thing you should do is check that the Network Card drivers are up to date. You should do this via the Network Card or Laptop manufacturer's web site rather than via Windows which can be out of date.

I would however recommend that you buy a b/g/n wireless dongle, they can be bought for less than £10/£15 and this would update your wireless on the laptops and you should see an improvement.

0 Ratings
ronecc
Beginner
Message 8 of 15

I turned Smart setup off, has made no difference.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 15

but from your stats you don't appear to have separated the 2.4and 5ghz networks which may well help your wireless conenction  turning off smart setup won't help your wireless connection but turning off the automatic channel selection might

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
ronecc
Beginner
Message 10 of 15

Hi Again.

I am Infinity 1, just a couple of hundred yards from the cabinet.

I have not split the 2.4 and 5 channels as I have no idea how to, and I do not remember you say how.

The printout I attached shows the 5ghz as disabled anyway.

My laptop is a 6 year od Acer, and they appear to install all kinds of hardware that cannot be updated.Broadcom does not recognise my adaptor.

My wife's laptop has a small dongle, but I think that is just to increase the reception distance, as it is not good as standard.

0 Ratings