cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KML
Beginner
Message 1 of 4

Re: Orange light on Smart Hub for no apparent reason

I have also been suffering from this issue for the last two months. I have made dozens of calls to the help line, but they don't appear to keep any records of previous calls and we just keep going around in circles. BT has already replaced my Smart Hub but the problem persists. There is no point in paying for a service that goes down this frequently. An engineer is due to visit next week. If he/she doesn't solve the problem I will be closing my BT account. I have run out of patience.

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 4

@KML

As the reason for your problem may be different, I have given you your own thread.

Also, as people use the home hub on ADSL, the issue is not always going to be specific to Infinity.

I manage a HH6 at another address. What I did notice is that if the home hub is disconnected from the line, or suffers a short connection failure, it does not always seem to reconnect, and the light stays orange for a very long time.

The only way to restore connectivity is to restart the home hub, which can take up to three minutes to reconnect.

I think that in many cases, interference and crosstalk from other circuits, is confusing the home hub, and causing it to have difficulty in establishing or maintaining connection.

I think that the HH5 has a better recovery mechanism than the HH6, when it comes to recovering from line errors.

In your case, it may be interference of a high resistance fault on your line.

Is there any noise on your phone calls? Dial 17070 and select option 2, there should be no noise between the announcements.

Are you a long distance from the cabinet, or have an overhead feed from a telephone pole?

0 Ratings
KML
Beginner
Message 3 of 4

Hi Keith,

Thanks for your reply. There is no noise on the line, which BT has also tested many times. I've done the test socket thing, again at BT's request, without identifying any problems either. I'm convinced the problem is in the street somewhere. It's nothing to do with my hubs which all suffer the problem (two SmartHub 6s and one Home Hub 5). I live in London and am not far from the exchange. The problems started in August. There were no problems from January to August. It's often fine during the weekday, but fails repeatedly in the evenings (which is precisely when I need it).

Yesterday, I finally persuaded BT to send out an engineer which they agreed to do on Monday. This evening on the way home without talking to me they sent me a text message saying that they "have checked your broadband connection and now its working properly. Hence we have cancelled the engineer booking." Any yet the Internet went down within 10 minutes of walking in the door and still hasn't come back. The wireless network is up (although only a few of my devices can connect to it), but there is no Internet connection at all. (I'm using BTWifi-with-FON thanks to a neighbour.)

This experience has been absolutely appalling, and I am very close to cancelling all of my BT services.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 4

Hi @KML and thanks for posting.

Are you on Infinity or ADSL broadband? Which exchange are you connected to? Are you able to run a speed test and post the results?

Cheers

David

0 Ratings