cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5

Re: Remote Access Issues - Impact of opting out of Shared IP Address

Go to solution

PREAMBLE

After an attempted break-in I invested in a wireless CCTV camera which allows remote viewing.   The camera is up and running and connected wirelessly (used port forwarding and a dynamic IP service - easy peasy).  However, I found it impossible to register the camera with the web-site where (a) the camera automatically uploads and stores footage when it detects movement or noise and (b) allows me remote access to the images from anywhere e.g. my work terminal.   The Broadband Help Desk are unable to help as this is not the kind of query they are familiar with.  (I am still waiting on tech support to respond).   Researching through the forums, I found links which have led me to "opting out of Sharing IP adresses."   On restarting my Home Hub3, I found I was immediately able to register with the camera's web page.

QUESTION

By opting out of shared IP addressing, have I compromised my Internet Security systems in any way?

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Go to solution

I moved this so that you can get an answer specific to you rather than being in an old post that was marked as solved.

Message 3 of 5

Go to solution

Reading this, it would seem not - probably the opposite in fact:

http://www.techweekeurope.co.uk/news/bt-retail-trials-ip-address-sharing-carrier-grade-na-115411

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 5

Go to solution

Opting out is the best option.

You can check your status on this link. Port forwarding problems

There is a picture showing what you should see.

Guru
Message 5 of 5

Go to solution

Your loss of incoming access may not have been an IP sharing issue, but a bug in HH3.

I have a no-ip address with the HH3 programmed to keep it up to date.  I hardly every use it, but every now and then want to run an exposed web server for testing.  I noticed the other day that my no-ip address was not correctly resolved. 

• Checking on the HH3 was a message I forget under Dynamic DNS service status: (I'll see if I can find what it was).  
  • Refresh did not change the message.  
  • Checked all ok at no-ip end.  
  • Changed no-ip password to something intentionally incorrect at HH3, and got sensible message about bad authorization.
  • Changed no-ip password on HH3 back to correct one, and everything started working.  
  • No reset or disconnect/reconnect of HH3, so my external IP stayed the same throughout the process.  
  • I am opted out of IP address sharing; and I believe it doesn't actually apply to Infinity 2 users anyway.

The most likely cause of these symptoms seems to be a bug in the HH3.  This isn't a sgnificant issue for me, but may be a pointer for you as to what was going wrong for you.