cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

Re: Replacing BT Home Hub with Google Nest WiFi Issues (FTTP)

I am also having issues. 

I currently have mastersocket on the internal wall > ethernet cable and then latest home hub (not sure which version). 

I disconnected the ethernet cable from homehub and inserted into nest router and can't connect. The home app keeps asking me to plug in the ethernet cable (which it already is). 

My understanding is that I might need ethernet > modem > nest router. Is that correct? and if so, will any modem do as BT have told me that they wont send a modem as theirs don't work with 3rd party routers. 

What would you suggest?

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: Replacing BT Home Hub with Google Nest WiFi Issues

@mdfair 

If you are plugged into a phone socket, then you have a FTTC connection, not FTTP, and you either have to use the home hub, or buy a third party modem.

Plugging your Google Nest into the phone socket, would most likely damage it, as there would be 50 Volts applies to it, and possibly 80 Volts if someone rings your number.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 7

I'm not plugged into phone socket. 

I have a master socket on the wall so have separate broadband and phone sockets. The ethernet/dsl cable is plugged into the broadband connector, and we dont have or use a home phone line. 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

@mdfair wrote:

I'm not plugged into phone socket. 

I have a master socket on the wall so have separate broadband and phone sockets. The ethernet/dsl cable is plugged into the broadband connector, and we dont have or use a home phone line. 

It is still a connection to your phone line, and will have the same high voltages on it. The broadband side of the socket carries both broadband and phone. Its only the phone side of the socket which is filtered, to stop the broadband signal getting into the phone.

If you are lucky, it may not have damaged your Google Nest, but you are not going to be able to check until you can buy a separate modem, as I think it needs to connect to a modem, and not a port on the home hub.

There are second-hand Openreach modems for sale, which will work, provided you do not have a G.Fast (Ultrafast) connection.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

Yes we do have  G.Fast (Ultrafast) connection. 

Does that change things and if so what then?

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

@mdfair wrote:

Yes we do have  G.Fast (Ultrafast) connection. 

Does that change things and if so what then?

Then you would have to obtain a G.Fast modem, they are rare and expensive.

It would be cheaper to use a different wireless mesh system, unless the Google Nest can operate in access point mode, and then you could connect it to the Smart Hub 2.

You might find other suggestions from forum members, but I think this has been discussed before.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 7

Have a look at the Draytek Vigor 166 modem.