Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GW65
Contributor
Message 5 of 10

Re: Sky Q box not connecting to BT Smart Hub 6

@Snave51589wrote:

I have managed to set up all my devices but my Sky Q box still says no internet access to the BT Hub so I am unable to connect my q mini box 

The Sky Q box by default uses is own 5GHz mesh network to communicate with Sky Q Mini boxes...and by default it's set on channel 36, 80MHz bandwidth...so effectively it's hogging the entire spectrum and will cause issues unless your router can operate on higher channels (i.e. not 36,40,44 or 48).  Having said that, the Sky Q should be using 2.4GHz for it's internet connection to the router...so you should get an Internet connection even if the 5GHz networks clash with each other.

Do you have separate SSIDs for 2.4GHz and 5GHz?  If you do, you should make sure you're connecting the Sky Q to the 2.4GHz SSID.

To avoid the 5GHz clashes, if the Smart Hub allows you to select channels 52 upwards the do that...but if it doesn't you can go into the Sky Q box service menu to reduce bandwidth the 40MHz and, assuming the Sky Q is on channel 36,  move the Smart Hub channel up to 44 or 48.  Even better, if you can establish a wired connection to your Smart Hub for all of your Sky Q boxes then you can disable the Sky mesh network in the service menu.  And while you're there, you might as well disable Powerline on the Sky Q boxes to avoid potential VDSL interference (Powerline used to be disabled by default but I think it's enabled by default on newer Sky firmware).

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Snave51589
Message 1 of 10

Sky Q box not connecting to BT Smart Hub 6

I have managed to set up all my devices but my Sky Q box still says no internet access to the BT Hub so I am unable to connect my q mini box 

0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 2 of 10

Try a factory reset of  the Sky Q box.

0 Ratings
Snave51589
Message 3 of 10

I’ve tried that but unfortunately it didn’t work
0 Ratings
Snave51589
Message 4 of 10

I tried that but unfortunately it didn’t work
0 Ratings
MTA
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 10

Hi @Snave51589 did you resolve this, have you tried disabling smart setup? 🙂

0 Ratings
nas1001
Message 7 of 10

I have a large property across 4 floors. I upgraded from SkyQ from SkyHD with multiple Sky HD boxes. Sky Q system is installed with Sky Q 2TB main system plus 2 Sky minis. The broadband is BT, when Sky Q was installed, the router was BT home hub 5. I also have an Apple time capsule network of 4 devices all connected to a 500 MB/sec powerline   network. prior to SkyQ everything worked and co-existed. Threw SkyQ in the mix, the engineer couldn't connect SkyQ to the BT wifi so used the power line, which passed his tests, but...... whenever the main SkyQ 2TB box was downloading, the SkyQ minis dropped connection, big reliability issues which Sky couldn't fix.

Resolution

1.switch to sky broadband... why should I???

2. take the freebie offer from BT to upgrade to smart hub2 with a wifi disk, connect the SkyQ 2TB box to the wifi disk via ethernet which eliminated the powerline connection from the main box....  problem solved.

0 Ratings
mikeb7499
Message 8 of 10

Hi Newbie -

I'm also in a large house over 4 floors with Sky Q, 3 mini-boxes and BT broadband with 3 booster discs on their 'guaranteed' wi-fi solution. The discs arrived in May and everything was ok until late July when the mini-boxes started dropping connection. 

We went away in August so didn't deal with it until late August but it's been a complete nightmare since. Had a Sky engineer in last week but he pretty much gave up. He installed new sky booster half way between Q box and kitchen mini box with no impact what so ever. 

Key issues are: 

2 of 3 mini-boxes not connecting to Sky Q or BT internet. One of them is hardwired via ethernet cable around the house to main Sky Q box. 

Sky Q main box ok at the moment but wi-fi drops frequently causing loss of catch-up, on demand etc..

The key issues is that the set-up all worked fine until the end of July so it seems clear that either Sky or BT changed some settings. 

I assume that it requires someone with knowledge of the frequency settings of the equipment but my concern is that neither Sky or BT have the nouse to fix this. 

I'd love to hear if others are experiencing similar issues. Could the issue be limited to certain locations? 

0 Ratings
nas1001
Message 9 of 10

It sounds like you have  the Sky Q minis connected over wifi to either sky or BT internet.

if you can, try connecting each mini box via an ethernet cable directly to the BT disc(s), i.e. site the discs beside each mini box.

0 Ratings
nas1001
Message 10 of 10

... an do as I have which is site a disc beside the main sky Q box.

0 Ratings