cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 17

Re: Sky Q connection to smart hub 2

Hi all

Brand new here and really desperately need a simpletons explanation on this issue.

I have BT Complete Wifi and recently picked up a new Sky Q box and Sky Q Mini. Having issues wit both.

The Sky Q box consistently drops internet connection and the Sky Q Mini barely works at all. Seen lots of people talking about the solution but i really need an idiots step by step guide to solve. As i understand it, i cannot change between 2.4ghz and 5ghz on the Complete Wifi/Hub 2.

Appreciate your help as i'm losing my patience!

0 Ratings
16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17

Make sure turned off smart setup

Turn Off smart setup

then go to hub manager then advanced settings then wireless and change 5ghz network to either 44/48 NOT 36 as that is used by skyq

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 3 of 17

thanks so much for your response!

Smart setup is off from an earlier thread i read, and have now moved 5ghz off 36 and onto 44. and there's definitely a noticeable difference in improvement, but the connection still interrupts and judders frequently. Should i try shifting to 48 and see if that further improves or is there anything else affecting this?

Sky can't send an engineer out until 30th Dec so not keen on waiting 3 weeks if its something i can fix at home.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 17

you can try 48 and see if that helps

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 5 of 17

thanks have tried that, still the same. At this rate i am thinking just to do away with BT Internet, it's ridiculous in this day and age to be having issues like this when it shouldn't be so difficult 😞

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 17

does the skyq box connect to the hub? does the mini connect to skyq box and the hub ( settings on mini box)

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 17

my old Sky Q box was perfect with the Hub. This new one keeps dropping its connection, which i am hoping has now been resolved by the change to 5ghz.

Sky Q Mini does connect to both the hub and Sky Q main box but continually disconnected, which again i am hopeful is resolved with the 5ghz change you suggested.

However, the Sky Q mini box still freezes up A LOT when watching, to the point you can't really watch at all. it's right next to a BT Complete Wifi disc too so signal strength from a broadband perspective should be fine.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 17

the mini get the sky programs via the connection to the skyq mesh system and uses the hub internet for catch up

from memory when you check the settings in the mini as long as connected to skyq main box you get menu programs

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 17

I’ve had my Sky Q system running with two mini discs for many years now without an issue.  Right from the start I decided to run the main box connection via Ethernet, either using a Wi-Fi bridge or, as it is now, by plugging the Ethernet connection into a Black Disc situated next to the Sly Q main box.  In the early days, Sky engineers connected mini boxes to your local Wi-Fi, rather than use their own 5Ghz mesh network via the WPS buttons on the Sky mini boxes. The setup using the local Wi-Fi system used to disconnect on a regular basis.  Once I started to connect all the boxes via the Sky 5Ghz mesh the connections have remained stable.  If a mini box is connected via the Sky 5 GHz mesh the mini box gets all its connections via the main Sky box.  I know this because the Sky mini boxes listed in the Smart Hub state they are connected via Ethernet, which they definitely are not, only the Sky Q Silver box is. The Sky mesh system operates using a virtual mac address to interconnect all their boxes together. If your mini box is close enough to the main box (and mine are both above our living room in two bedrooms), try connecting the mini boxes via their WPS buttons.  In addition to the above, I moved the Smart Hub 5GHz to channel 48.  I also changed the Sky main box to work at 40 MHz bandwidth, as its default is 80 MHz bandwidth and that can flood the entire 5 GHz band with Sky Wi-Fi – 80 MHz bandwidth uses all 4 of the main UK 5 GHz channels to pass data. I’ve noticed no reduction in performance in the mini boxes by reducing this bandwidth.

To change the Sky main box Wi-Fi settings navigate to the settings option on the box but don’t select it. With Settings highlighted, Press 0-0-1 on the keypad then enter. You’ll now be in the ‘secret’ engineers menu. Select “Network - 5Ghz Wi-Fi channel width” and set to 40 Mhz/ch.36.  You can also turn off the 2.4 Ghz wireless here as well if you wish, I did as its not being used now but that’s only because I’m connecting via Ethernet.  If you connect any of the Sky boxes to your own WI-Fi network leave it on as it’s the only Wi-Fi network Sky allow non-Sky internet uses to connect to.

Hope this helps.

Message 10 of 17

Wow ok so this is some info. Can i try and simplify and confirm my understanding correct?

1) Plug one of my black disc BT Broadbands into the main Sky Q box (this is not a pure ethernet connection from the main hub, only one of the discs from Complete Wifi).

2) Set up Sky Q Mini box using WPS (which sometimes works, sometimes doesn't)

3) Move BT 5ghz to Channel 48 (already done as suggested above)

4) Switch Sky to run at 40MhZ / Ch36

5) turn off 2.4ghz on the basis one of the black discs is ethernetted to main box as stated in point 1) above

Have i got that all right?

0 Ratings