cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 17

Re: Sky Q connection to smart hub 2

Wow ok so this is some info. Can i try and simplify and confirm my understanding correct?

1) Plug one of my black disc BT Broadbands into the main Sky Q box (this is not a pure ethernet connection from the main hub, only one of the discs from Complete Wifi).

Correct: Ethernet cable from Black Disc yellow connector on rear of Disc to Sky Q Main Box

2) Set up Sky Q Mini box using WPS (which sometimes works, sometimes doesn't)

Correct: my only comment is that if it ‘sometimes works’ you may be on the limit of 5GHz range.  That said, I’m sure mine haven’t always connected first time in the past when I’ve had the odd connection issue.

3) Move BT 5ghz to Channel 48 (already done as suggested above)

4) Switch Sky to run at 40MhZ / Ch36

Correct.

5) turn off 2.4ghz on the basis one of the black discs is ethernetted to main box as stated in point 1) above

Your choice when Ethernet is connected.  I just turned it off for completeness as it wasn’t being used.

Have i got that all right?

You’ve got it, I may have been too detailed in some parts of my post but sometimes it helps.

Message 12 of 17

thanks for all your help. After trying the above methods, still getting the same issue. Connection mainly happening, then interrupts frequently to the point you cant really watch anything, cant download anything.

Now at the point can only assume Sky Q mini is too far from the box in the lounge as not sure what else can be the issue. frustrating.

0 Ratings
Message 13 of 17

That’s disappointing, sorry it didn’t work. If you get a Sky engineer to come and look at the problem they can supply a Sky Extender box just for the issues your having - if it is lack of signal from Sky Main box to Mini. They may not offer this without you asking for it but I’ve seen on Sky forums that it’s normally fitted free of charge.  As a final test to check if signal levels are the issue, are you able to temporarily run an ethernet cable from the Smart Hub to the mini box? 

You might like to try the Sky Q forums as well for assistance as this looks like this is more of a Sky problem than a BT issue.

Good Luck,

Merry Christmas.

0 Ratings
Message 14 of 17

you can also try a wifi analyser on your phone and stand beside mini and you should be able to see the strength of the skyq main box and also that of your hub

when having problems do you check the settings in the mini to see if it show tick/cross at skyq and internet?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 15 of 17

hey @BAFlyer apologies had a question.

1) Plug one of my black disc BT Broadbands into the main Sky Q box (this is not a pure ethernet connection from the main hub, only one of the discs from Complete Wifi).

Correct: Ethernet cable from Black Disc yellow connector on rear of Disc to Sky Q Main Box

Have done this but when i try and 'connect the Sky Q box via Ethernet' setting on the Sky Q box, it fails saying it cannot get an IP address. Any suggestions on what needs to be fixed to pick up the ethernet connection to the BT Complete wifi box? has a stable blue light on the disc so assume it's all good connectivity wise.

0 Ratings
Message 16 of 17

Have you power cycled the Sky Main box? (i.e. turned it off and on again).  This should force a DHCP connection with the Smart Hub. However, if a DHCP connection is not being established, enter a manual IP for the Sky Box via its Settings-Status-Network connection-Network setup-Advanced settings-Edit.  Enter an IP address outside the DHCP range of the Smart Hub ( I use 192.168.1.50), subnet mask 255.255.255.0 and the router IP address 192.168.1.254, DNS Server the same at the Router.

One of the above suggestions should work.

0 Ratings
Message 17 of 17

hey all

Thanks for all the info to try and assist, been a few days so thought I would post an update.

So, after following the advised steps, there was some improvement but ultimately the Sky Q box was still falling over frequently.

Then, throughout Friday and Saturday of last week i consistently received 'erratic' broadband throughout the day. Despite all the hubds/discs showing a solid blue light, i found my internet signal continually dropping at random times and across the house, upstairs, downstairs, different rooms. It was really strange and as you can imagine, immensly frustrating.

This led to me losing my patience at around 3am Saturday night and ended with me logging onto the BT Hub Management section and hitting 'reset all changes' or whatever it's called.

Several items had to be reconnected, but i decided it was worth having a stable internet and letting Sky fix the Sky Q box than having a broken wifi throughout the house.

Now, what's weird is since i've done that... the Sky Q box is at least more stable and working better than ever before. I have no doubt it will fall over now i've posted this, but it's incredibly strange that since i resetted the router settings, Sky Q has worked better than before.