cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 10

Re: Smart Hub 2 + IP Reservations (Static)

Go to solution

I am a new customer of BT via EE and have just received my  smarthub 2.

I am very disappointed with the way BT have screwed down everything so tight as to make this router totally useless to me.

I have many different appliances a smart home with all sorts of wired and wireless connections.

They are all set to my preferred 192.168.0.0/24 IPV4 addresses.

Some are not able to change to the smarthub2 default.

My questions:

1.  Is there any updated firmware out there that will open up my brand-new hub so I can actually use it?
  2. If there is no other firmware, I will have to revert back to my own original router I was using with Post Office (talktalk network).   Will the setting here in the screenshot work?  There doesn't seem to be a lot of the normal settings found in most modems, so I am wondering if it will work at all.
  3. If none of the above work, what are the chances of BT having anyone on the end of the 'phone who knows enough about it to assist me, or are they all 3rd rate numpties like most ISP's?

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Go to solution

I have moved your post to start a new thread rather than the ancient one you posted on.

@vidtek wrote:

My questions:

Is there any updated firmware out there that will open up my brand-new hub so I can actually use it?

No, but you can change the IP addressing range in Advanced settings > My Network >IPv4 configuration

If there is no other firmware, I will have to revert back to my own original router I was using with Post Office (talktalk network).   Will the setting here in the screenshot work?  There doesn't seem to be a lot of the normal settings found in most modems, so I am wondering if it will work at all.

No screenshot attached. The only settings you require are the generic PPPoE settings of username bthomehub@btbroadband.com and password BT.

If none of the above work, what are the chances of BT having anyone on the end of the 'phone who knows enough about it to assist me, or are they all 3rd rate numpties like most ISP's?

This forum is the best place for advice.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 10

Go to solution

You can change the IPv4 address range to 192.168.0.0/24 by navigating to the IPv4 settings in the advanced settings.

Message 4 of 10

Go to solution

@BAFlyer wrote:

You can change the IPv4 address range to 192.168.0.0/24 by navigating to the IPv4 settings in the advanced settings.

As mentioned above 😁

Message 5 of 10

Go to solution

No I can't on this device.  It just says illegal address or similar and will not change.

Message 6 of 10

Go to solution

Thats odd. I just changed my Hub address to 192.168.0.254 as a test and it was fine.

Message 7 of 10

Go to solution

If your old router isn't locked just use that. 

Message 8 of 10

Go to solution

Operator error........In order to change the ip address of the hub, you need to also change the DHCP server addresses.

Almost every other router will do this automatically when changing the base IP address.

Problem solved, thanks guys.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 10

Go to solution

Just wait until you try to choose which frequency your smart stuff wants to connect to as there is NO way to seperate the SSID, both frequencies have the same name. 

That is the thing that has given me the biggest grief.

To connect your 2.4GHz kit, turn off the 5GHz broadcast until you have set up the 2.4GHz stuff, then turn the 5GHz back on for everything else to connect to and hope the 2.4GHz devices dont get confused.

Message 10 of 10

Go to solution

Not odd at all.

The official subnet mask for class C private addresses is /16  The public C range is /24.  Most DHCP servers will allow the use of /24 or /16 (and a lot of administrators use /24) but in this case it appears the DHCP is doing things by the book.  /16 should work fine; the network address is just 192.168 instead of 192.168.0