cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5

Re: Smarthub 2 and RDP connection

Hi there, I have just "upgraded" to BT Ultrafast and have the Smart Hub 2, however since this has been installed I have not been able to access my VPS via Windows Remote Dsktop, ocaasionaly it does connect but loses the connection within 2-3 minutes. I am not at all technical with these matters, I have called BT and sadly I had to explain to the person what a VPS was, so did not get very far!

Is there a simple solution to this please - any help would be really appreciated as I feel a bit duped by my "upgrade" at the moment as I never had any connection issues with my old 70 Meg Smart Hub 1 set up!

Thanks

Adam 

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

The obvious semi educated guess would be the port forwarding settings on the hub, I know it's not always necessary on a VPS but the SH2 can be a strange beast sometimes.

If that doesn't work then you could try a factory reset

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 5

Hi there and thank you for your reply, I had a BT tech guy come round this morning and he changed port settings and initially it appeared to work , I think he changed to accept all incoming traffic ? (sorry I believe this is what I heard that he did so not sure if this makes sense), However, since he left, it does connect to my VPS better now, but it is still intermittent and loses the connection after maybe 10 minutes. Sorry to be a pain but in layman's terms do you know what I need to do please? Any help will be appreciated, thank you.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 5

If he changed your firewall to accept all incoming traffic he should be sacked immediately. It will leave you totally vulnerable.

Factory reset your hub to restore it to sensible settings.

You shouldn't need any ports opening to make an outgoing connection to a remote server.

Message 5 of 5

As Licquorice says, allowing all incoming is effectively turning the firewall off.  It’s tantamount to going out and leaving all of your doors and windows open,…a very, very bad idea.

0 Ratings