cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
shawrangutan
Beginner
Message 5 of 15

Re: TD-W9970 - terrible upload speed (888 Kbps) wrecking net whenever there's an upload

Go to solution

Thanks Keith. I haven't had much time tonight but I will read that thread tomorrow and work through it. One question from what I've read so far, do I need to get the IPs of every device that's connected to my network, or can I just set my PC (connected via ethernet) as priority one and bulk set all other IPs to a lesser priority?

Would that stop my personal connection tanking whenever someone uploads?

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES
shawrangutan
Beginner
Message 1 of 15

TD-W9970 - terrible upload speed (888 Kbps) wrecking net whenever there's an upload

Go to solution

Hi there,

My upload speed is terrible and I share a house with 6 other people. Whenever someone uploads something (whatsapp picture, automatic Cloud backing up, whatever) the internet slows to an unusable pace. This usually disconnects me from online gaming and after 4 years of this I just can't take it anymore (fibre not available here).

I replaced the Bthomehub with a TD-W9970 and hoped to use the QOS settings to limit the upload speed so uploads would be even slower, but wouldn't tank the download speed. I've tried setting the Total Upstream Bandwidth to 450kbps, but this was causing devices connected wirelessly to experience slow downs/stops of internet. I tried setting it higher to 600kbps but I started getting the ping spikes that cause me to disconnect from games again.

Can anyone help? am I doomed to this irredeemable situation until I move out?

speed test.JPG

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 15

Re: TD-W9970 - terrible upload speed (888 Kbps) wrecking net whenever there's an upload

Go to solution

I think you may be going about it the wrong way. It has to be done in a specific order.

The total upload speeds and download speeds must be set to whatever your line supports, do not set them any lower.

As shown on this page Priority and bandwidth controls

Its individual device IP addresses that need to be configured, once you have reserved them in the DHCP reservation. You need to identify your device IP address, and allocate that priority 1.

Priority is more important than actual upload and download rate for each device.

See IP addresses reserved - very important if you want to use bandwidth controls

You need to understand how the router allocates bandwidth.

What does the bandwidth control page look like on your router, just the top bit which shows the upload and download connection speeds?

If you are really stuck, then I can probably help you from this end.

You may like to read this thread.

https://community.bt.com/t5/Home-setup-Wi-Fi-network/Third-party-modem-help/m-p/1890917#M156217

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Forumhelp (Private website) Lots of additional information and help.
You will need to be connected to your home BT Broadband connection to view it, or any links to it that I post on this forum.

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 15

Go to solution

888kbps is normal up speed for an adsl2 connection

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
shawrangutan
Beginner
Message 4 of 15

Go to solution

Is it normal for the internet to tank to incredibly slow speeds whenever someone uploads?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 15

Go to solution

Uploads will affect download, as download packets have to send an acknowlegement to confirm that there are no errors, before more data can be sent. If the upload path is congested, then that will slow things down.

You can just record and reserve the IP address of your PC, and set the priority and bandwidth, as all the others default to priority five I think.

If you only have seven people on your network, its no trouble to record all the IPs by looking at the DHCP client list, then reserving every one. Its very easy to copy and paste the info, and keep a copy on a spreadsheet. If all users have connected in the last 24 hours, then that information will be in the client list, with their MAC address and IP address.

That way you can set the rate and priority for every user, and possibly restrict the upload rate for those who do a lot of uploading, and also set the priority to seven or eight.

That is the best way, and you can keep a track of which devices are connecting and how much data they are using.

Take a read of the information I have given, and if you need more help, then please ask.

I am retired so I normally have plenty of time to help.

There is a remote configuration option if you are really stuck.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You will need to be connected to your home BT Broadband connection to view it, or any links to it that I post on this forum.

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 15

Go to solution

Also take a look at this page on your router.

IP adresses allocated by DHCP

Then go to DHCP settings and change the lease time to 2880 minutes (48 hours). That will ensure you have a full record of all devices connected in the last 48 hours.

You can then make a copy of that list, and then you can add each one to the Address reservation page, and that will ensure that each device gets the same IP address every time, so any controls you apply to an IP address or range of addresses, will affect those devices.

That is also important if you need to do any manual port forwarding or access controls, as they need the IP address to be known.

shawrangutan
Beginner
Message 8 of 15

Go to solution

Hey Keith,

Thanks again for the help, and sorry for the delay inbetween my messages - busy start to the week!

So I've reserved the IP address of my computer and am ready to add it the bandwidth control rules as priority one. I have the IPs and MAC addresses for the other devices on the network.

The thing I'm not sure about is what min and max upstream and down stream I want to add for it and the other devices on my network. Obviously my main goal is to stop the latency spikes on my PC when someone is uploading, so what should I set as minimum?

Also, what should I set as the upstream/ downstream min/max for the other devices on the network such that they don't cause latency spikes when they upload?

Current Upstream Rate:888 Kbps

Current Downstream Rate:14028 Kbp

Cheers!

Chris

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 15

Go to solution

You will need to reserve the IP addresses of the other devices as well, otherwise the rules will change.

Its upload that is going to be the problem, as that will cause the most impact.

I would start by setting all the other users to priority 6.

Use a minimum upload bandwidth of 50kbs and a maximum of 600kbs for each user. Under normal circumstances, the upload restriction will not be noticed anyway.

The important thing is that the total minimum upload bandwidth, cannot be greater that the amount available.

As for downstream rate, its not as critical, so use a minimum of 500kbs and a maximum of 13000.

For your computer.

Upstream a minimum of 200kbs and a maximum of 800kbs

Downstream a minimum of 2000kbs and a maximum of 13000kbs.

These are just suggested values, and you may have to alter them to suit.

If you make any changes, remember to click on the "save" button just above the words "Bandwidth control rules" as that re-initialises the queue.

Your current upload rate seems a bit low, this is what I get.

Current Rate (Kbps) 1179 11067
Max Rate (Kbps) 1180 11152
SNR Margin (dB) 5.9 6.1
Line Attenuation (dB) 20.6 36.5
Errors (Pkts) 0 0

Perhaps your upload frequency band is a bit restricted in some way. This can be due to locally induced noise from things like power units and fluorescent lights.

shawrangutan
Beginner
Message 10 of 15

Go to solution

Thanks for that Keith, looks great and I really apprieciate you taking the time to write this out.

I was going to set this up tonight but when I got back from work one of my housemates told me that the internet has been fluctuating in its speeds since we set up the new router. Sometimes it's fine, sometimes it's terrible - more so than we ever experienced with the BThomehub. I hadn't noticed on my PC with ethernet, but I tried on my mobile and lo and behold yeah the internet was awful and then it was good and then it was awful. I did a speedtest and at one point it registered as 0.04 kbps download.. The internet has dropped a number of times too.

I have bandwidth control enabled but no rules setup and the max up/down bandwidth is set to the same as what the router says is current. I'm disabling the bandwidth control to see if that makes any difference to the wireless speeds.

I checked the system log on the TP router settings and found something strange happening, maybe this is related?

internet strangeness.JPG

0 Ratings