cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Sage
Message 1 of 7

Re: Warning about exceeding your Internet Usage

fon and open zone are not part of your usage allowance
do you use any thing like facebook skype catch up tv services as these are hi usage services
0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
christhurston
Beginner
Message 2 of 7

I have never had any problem using the usage monitor, my problem has been the monitor itself, it seems. Some months ago, in the interests of economy, I downgraded to Option 1 from my previous Option 3 and I found it impossible to keep my usage below 10GB (according to the monitor !!!)

I should hasten to add that my usage consists of browsing eBay and a variety of other websites, and sending an occasional email. I do not download films, music or use iplayer etc. I felt that I had to upgrade to Option 2 as I couldn't afford to stay on Option 1 !!!. My usage has changed little and according to the monitor in the first 2 months on Option 2 I used 5.62 GB and 4.62 GB respectively, and my usage as of 2359 19/05 is 1.74 GB.

It appears to me that when I was on Option 1 the usage monitor was put into top gear. I checked my usage regularly and the most blatant example of this gearing up was from 2359 18/03 to 2359 19/03 when the reading changed from 7.82 GB to 9.49, meaning that I had "allegedly" used 1.67 GB. This usage is totally and absolutely out of the question, and would, I think, involve downloading, at least, 2 SD films or their equivalent, which I have never, ever done !!! 

0 Ratings
vofsanity2
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 7

It is wortwhile to monitor your router data usage stats as well as the BT Usage Monitor as you then have some evidence to show that the monitor is in error.  If your connection speed is over 8Mbps it is very easy to clock up 1.67GB in a day without apparently changing your browsing habits eg TomTom map updates can be just less than 2GB.

0 Ratings
Scorpion0x17
Contributor
Message 4 of 7

It's even possible to clock up 1.67GB from apparently lightwieght browsing habits if you're on a poor-quality, but fast, connection - as the poor quality line will cause packet errors, which will cause repeated data transmission.

Also, any website with images on can create high data tranmission because the images that are downloaded are often at much higher resolution than they are display at on-screen.

0 Ratings
Failey_Well
Message 5 of 7

The last two months I have had the same problems.  It is only rh 21day of the month and already I have only about 1Gb left AND I was in hospital for 5 days. There is something going on here!? I am being pressured into purchasing Infinity with 40 Gbs but I am really annoyed that BT cannot document the details of how they come to this figure. FYI I do not downoad any songs or films; haven't watched any IPlayer these past two mionths; I only browse the net as per normal and send emails. How can I get BT to detail my usage. The monitor is supposed to work every day but it has only been working every second day for me.

0 Ratings
Failey_Well
Message 6 of 7

You mention that Skype could be the culprit for using excessive GBs of info. I do use Skype but not very often perhaps three - four times per month. If this is the case I can accept the higher than 'normal' usage. However, what is the rate at which Skype transmits? Knowing this would clearly help me to monitor the usage nore accurately. As far as I am aware Skype usage is never mentioned in the examples of usage  such as: with 1GB  one can download 48 photos, 144 songs, 1 film, 300 emails or +400 browsiing minutes.

0 Ratings
vofsanity2
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 7

@Failey_Well wrote:

The last two months I have had the same problems.  It is only rh 21day of the month and already I have only about 1Gb left AND I was in hospital for 5 days. There is something going on here!? I am being pressured into purchasing Infinity with 40 Gbs but I am really annoyed that BT cannot document the details of how they come to this figure. FYI I do not downoad any songs or films; haven't watched any IPlayer these past two mionths; I only browse the net as per normal and send emails. How can I get BT to detail my usage. The monitor is supposed to work every day but it has only been working every second day for me.

BT needs to improve it's usage monitor. Look at the link below and click on the Up Arrow to support the Idea. So far only 11 people have registered their support. If the Usage Monitor is so bad I would have thought thousands would be in favour.

http://community.bt.com/t5/ideas/v1/ideapage/blog-id/IdeasBank/article-id/263/page/2#comments

You should monitor your usage using the BT Monitor and the Data Usage on your HomeHub see:

http://community.bt.com/t5/Other-BB-Queries/BT-reckons-my-few-hours-per-evening-surfing-is-300MB-per...

Skype usage is dependant on whether you use sound only or video.  Sound alone is not that much but if you use High Definition webcams for a video chat it can be 100s of MBs per hour.

0 Ratings