Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
rodleydragons
Contributor
Message 1 of 12

Re Xbox one and strict NAT

Hi there. we have the BT home hub 5... now we have 4 sons, which has resulted in us having 3 xbox ones in the house.

We have severe lag issues if mre than one device is running (even though our speeds are in excess of 70 download and 20 upload)  

I was wondering is there anything we can do to help the NAT settings?? they end up moderate or strict even when just 2 devices are being used.  

all are wireless.

any advice would be wonderful. thank you 

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Jonkarra
Expert
Message 2 of 12

Re: Re Xbox one and strict NAT

IPv6 might help when thats rolled out to HH5(microsoft claim the XBOX works with Ipv6 although if you are playing peer to peer with other people who have ipv4 only then ipv6 will not help) the only other thing is enabling upnp as thats the only way to open up the NAT when you have more than one xbox.
0 Ratings
MorgaineD
Expert
Message 3 of 12

NAT has been such a disaster for gamers generally over many years that I'm surprised that they haven't been a lot more vocal in getting IPv6 deployed across the UK.

At last it's happening here, thankfully --- Sky leading the way in the 1st half of this year, BT completing network-wide IPv6 deployment in October and ready with the HH5 IPv6 upgrade for early in the new year, and Virgin lagging but nevertheless promising IPv6 in 2017.

With the UK's "Big Three" residential ISPs finally in the IPv6 game, 2017 is set to be "The Year of IPv6" for UK gamers. About time! :-)))

0 Ratings
rodleydragons
Contributor
Message 4 of 12

Apologies. I am not sure how to open anything up??... and will that make a difference to anything else that may use the wi-fi such as tablets or phones???... I don't want to mess with the router if it will muck up other things... thanks in advance for any help.

0 Ratings
rodleydragons
Contributor
Message 5 of 12

I checked the router and the Upnp is already open.   I do hope something is done soon as having the strict NAT on the other xboxes is a true pain (and leads to lots of "Mam.. why can't I speak to my friends.... Mam why am I so laggy and can't connect.."... !!)    Any other advice would be wonderful.. 

My eldest son asked if it is possible to have 2 lots of internet in a house??...  but I suppose if he wanted one he would need to buy a seperate landline and everything am I correct???.

thanks in advance.

0 Ratings
Liam_
Expert
Message 6 of 12

The only real solution is to invest in a proper third-party modem/router that supports both ADSL and VDSL.  Also proper IPv6 would be a distinct advantage.  You will then find that UPnP works properly for multiple devices.

Routers known to correctly support IPv6 at the moment are Billion, Asus, FritzBox and Ubiquiti.  Not the cheapest devices, though TP-Link are working on a firmware fix for their routers so they properly support IPv6.

0 Ratings
Malacath
Expert
Message 7 of 12

The only real solution is to ditch the home hub and buy a router with decent UPnP support. The UPnP on the home hub 5 is broken and not fit for purpose.It cant even handle an xbox360 and xbox one on the same network never mind three xbox ones.

As for IPv6 the Xbox one doesn't support it for gaming yet so ipv6 wont make a difference as far as NAT type is concerned. IPv6 is apparently only used for the web browser and video streaming at the moment

0 Ratings
rodleydragons
Contributor
Message 8 of 12

thank you both. I didn't even realise that we could use any hub other than the BT home hub 5 for infinity... so learn something new every day. Is it easy to change over??... not very technical minded here 🙂 

0 Ratings
Liam_
Expert
Message 9 of 12

Relatively easy.  You can download the user manuals first and see what looks best.

If you don't wish to do things manually there is usually some kind of automated process like a 'Wizard' for the setup.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 12

Quite easy, if you get stuck, there is plenty of help on this forum.

Common suggestions are the TP-Link TD-W9970 N300 for about £35 or the TP-Link TDW9980 for about £60.

0 Ratings