cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
WaltJabsco
Contributor
Message 1 of 10

Re: connect home hub 6 to apple airport time capsule

I successfully ran my Apple 1TB Time Capsule (ATC) with my BT Home Hub 5 for a few years.

My Apple devices used the ATC wifi network and backed up wirelessly, whereas my kids tended to use the BT wifi connection from the Home Hub for their XBox etc.

This signficantly improved connection for my Apple devices, which struggled connecting to the BT Home Hub 5 alone.

I have now upgraded to both a Apple 2TB AirPort Time Capsule and a BT Smart Hub 6.

However I can't seem to now replicate what I had!

I have a broadband cable linking the Smart Hub to the ATC but although the Smart Hub is successfully providing a wifi signal, the ATC doesn't connect to the BT Smart Hub.

Can somebody please outline what I need to do? (for example, does it matter if I connect to the Ethernet LAN or Ethernet WAN port on the ATC?)

Thank you

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Why did you change from a HH5 to a HH6, it isn't an upgrade.

The connections will be exactly the same as you had them before.

Connecting to the LAN or the WAN will be 2 entirely different scenarios. If you connect LAN to LAN then the ATC will be just a wireless access point and Etehrnet switch on the same subnet as the HUB. If you connect LAN to WAN the ATC will be a different subnet and will be routing and natting hence you will have double natting (which will only be a problem if you make use of port forwarding for gaming etc).

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 10

If you connect the ATC LAN to LAN you will need to give it an IP address outside of the range of the HUB dhcp, e.g 192.168.1.10

Have you turned off smart setup on the Hub6?

0 Ratings
WaltJabsco
Contributor
Message 4 of 10

Why did you change from a HH5 to a HH6, it isn't an upgrade.

I got sent it by BT and presumed 6 would be better than 5. I needed to upgrade to a 2TB Time Capsule as my 1TB was no longer big enough to manage my backups.

I'm not technically proficient so don't understand the terms in your second paragraph unfortunately. I'm 99% certain that I've replicated the same settings with an Ethernet cable connecting the two devices (LAN on the ATC).

Before I installed the Smart Hub 6, I briefly connected the new ATC to the HH 5. I'm wondering if this might be why the ATC can't connect to the SH6 - i.e. it's looking for the HH5 network?

Any further help appreciated

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 10

Unfortunately I know nothing about Apple devices. If you have connected to a LAN port on the ATC, it will either allocate itself an IP address if it has an inbuilt DHCP client (I don't know whether it has or not) or you will have to give it an IP address manually if it hasn't. The ATC documentation should clarify.

Make sure you have turned off Smart setup on the HH6

Previously connecting to the HH5 wouldn't have affected anything.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 10

To identify where the problem lies, try connecting the old ATC to the new Hub. If that works the problem is with the new ATC, if it doesn't, the problem is with the new Hub

0 Ratings
WaltJabsco
Contributor
Message 7 of 10

Thanks for everybody's help

I now (seemingly) have the set-up working as before. 

I turned off Smart Setup; rebooted/reset the ATC; and connected to the WAN port of the ATC.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 10

Ok, that will give you 2 networks but as long as you aren't doing any port forwarding it shouldn't be a problem.

Glad you got it working.

0 Ratings
WaltJabsco
Contributor
Message 9 of 10

What does port forwarding mean?

I am still having problems connecting to my Sky box but need to spend some time trying some different options trying to sort that.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 10

If you don't know what it means, I doubt you are using it. It is required for some games and CCTV cameras to direct incoming connections to the right device.

I would try connecting to the LAN port of the ATC and see if that works, it will be much simpler.

0 Ratings