cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5

Re-doing old wiring

Hi, I've lived in current house for almost 30 years since days of single landline and still use existing wiring for broadband, extras, etc.

The old wiring must be at least 100ft, running from front door to back of house then under floorboards to router in back room, then cable from router to BT set top box in front room, which is about 15ft from external BT wiring box. 

My question is: I have regular intermittent problem with wifi - this is the 4th time I've tried to post this..!!  and wondering if re-doing cabling from external BT box along outside wall to current router position would help and if BT do this..? Looks to me like a straightforward job.  TIA

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: Re-doing old wiring

are you a BT Retail phone and broadband customer?

does your phone work?

wifi dropping has nothing to do with house wiring unless the wifi is dropping because your router is dropping connection.  the wiring has nothing to do with BT as it is openreach responsibility up to master socket and homeowner for internal wiring

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 5

Wiring doesn't degrade. It may get damaged or terminals in junction boxes corroded if constantly damp but that's all. My wiring is 50 years old and is perfectly fine.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 5

Thanks for reply. Yes I get the lot from BT. I know wiring is ok because it works most of the time but I'm not convinced it doesn't affect the quality of signal. And part of my question was about rationalising the setup instead of having miles of cables, in particular the cable running from the router to the TV across a room. Anyway I'm looking at switching provider because I'm paying @£125 pcm and I'm assured there are much better and cheaper deals out there and they'd do new wiring as part of the installation.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 5

They won't. Internal wiring is your responsibility, no ISP will rewire your house unless you pay for it.

0 Ratings