cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 11

Re-positioning router for better Wifi

Hello,

Just had FTTP installed and very pleased. Router near front of house but would give a better Wifi coverage in centre of house.

The engineer said I could move it as I am using Powerline adapters for PC and tv. He suggests plugging the black Ethernet wire from the ONT into the Powerline adapter next to it , then moving the router to where I want it and taking the red ethernet cable and plugging that into the Powerline adapter next to the router and wifi will be centralized in the house for better coverage. Question...which Ethernet socket on the back of the router is the red ethernet cable plugged into?  Presumably the red one, not number 4?

Does all this make sense? He said it would work.

Many thanks,

John

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11

Re: Re-positioning router for better Wifi

that should work ok just connect powerline to hub WAN port

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 11

@Johnmlowe 

It would be the red one, however if you are already using powerline adapters on the LAN side, for the PC and TV, they will not work, as you cannot have two separate powerline networks, especially as one is on the WAN side, and one is on the LAN side.

If you are moving the home hub, can you move it so that the PC and TV can be either wired directly, or use wireless? Then you will only have one pair of powerline adapters.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 11

Or you can run an ethernet cable from the ONT to where you want the hub sited.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 11

How would I know if connected to WAN or LAN. At the moment ethernet cable to poweline comes from socket number 1 on the router. Does that make it WAN as it's not from red LAN socket.

Thanks for help

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 11

@Johnmlowe 

Anything connected to the home hub Ethernet ports is on the LAN side.

The only WAN connection would be from the ONT to the red WAN port on the home hub.

Both the WAN and the LAN segments must be totally separate, so you cannot use powerline adapters on both WAN and LAN segments.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 11

Boy my brain hurts. Forgive me, I am an amateur.
So as I was told, if the ONT black cable plugs into the power line adapter and the red cable from router plugs into the power line adapter after moving the router it will work? Hopefully I am not being dense here!
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 11

Hi @Johnmlowe and thanks for posting.

I'd be very interested to know how this set up performs if you decide to make the change. Please post back and let us know as I'm sure the community would also be interested.

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 11

@Johnmlowe wrote:

How would I know if connected to WAN or LAN. At the moment ethernet cable to poweline comes from socket number 1 on the router. Does that make it WAN as it's not from red LAN socket.

Thanks for help

The Red socket is the WAN port, the Yellow sockets are the LAN ports. You can't use powerline adapters in both type of sockets at the same time. If you only have one pair of adapters (one connected to the ONT and one connected to the red WAN port) all will be ok.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 11

Thank you for helping. I think I have been getting my Wans and Lans mixed up the wrong way!
Judging from what you say, and that is the same as suggested by the engineer, it should work.
As and when I get round to doing it I will post the result.
0 Ratings