cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kwackers
Message 1 of 4

Re: wifi conneection dropping

Hi, got big problems with Wifi drop out on BT Infinity. Hope somebody can help....

Where to start? Firstly we are not having any issues with internet connectivity. The download speed is usually quick (almost 40mbps with an upload speed of 10mbps ) when connected to the HH via ethernet cable. But recently (probably due to the world cup!) the download speed has suffered down to about 10mbps....at peak times.

Main probelms is wifi connection has started dropping every 30 mins. Ths has only started happening over the past 3 to 5 months with no apparent or obvious cause. I have even changed the HH3 to a BT Business Hub 225, set up IP addresses specific for each device, change the chanell alloctaion to manual and treid most of the channels - all of which doesn't seem to have made any difference. I have also tried the power down option & reboot, (which I now seem to ahve to do daily just to try and get a device to connect. Which some do, but others still can't connect. I've disconnected the LAN over Power cable network etc. and have ruled out all suggested forms of possible radio or other electronic interference..but still the WiFi is unreliable...

Please can somebody help! Could it be the Openreach Supplied Huawei Modem somehow creating inteference? How do I get this changed via BT?

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 4

If you are having the same problem with poor wireless with the HH3 and the Business Hub, this would tend to indicate that it is an interference problem rather than a router problem.

Have you tried moving the HH to a different location. Do not have it sharing the power socket with other electrical equipment. Turn off and unplug your TV's and electrical devices and carry out speed check plugging the devices back in one at a time and rechecking. It is a case of trial and error until you find the device that is causing the problem.

The most common device to cause interference problems are TV's and in particular plasma TVs. They don not need to be in the same room to cause the problem.  

0 Ratings
kwackers
Message 3 of 4

Thanks for the tips about TV interference and other devices plugged into the same power socket. Those ideas would make sense if we had changed something recently but we haven't...When the BT Infinity was installed it worked brilliantly on the HH3. Nothing has been physically changed since to cause interference, apart from the Huawei Modem which was changed previously by BT as part of a wider issue manufacturing batch issue with this modem type.
After that We did notice that the Router seemed to start switching channels (when in auto mode) more often; which, in turn, started to cause WiFi connectivity issues so we switched this off ages ago and selected the best channel (via trial & error) which seemed to stabilise for a while and appeared to resolve the issue, until about 5 months ago. Now temp changed the router and switched to manual allocation of IP addresses, which works on some devices but others still struggel to even connect..e.g any new devices and some existing previoulsy connected Apple devices
0 Ratings
Highlighted
kwackers
Message 4 of 4

Does anyone know if 4G mobile interferes with Wifi, in the same way that it is known to interfere with Freeview channels?

Just wondering if this could cause the Wifi connectivity issues we have? but then surely others in the local area would have the same problems? and we don't have any 4G devices either.

Are there any known issues with IOS upgrades on Apple, or Android devices regards compatibility with BT Wifi routers?

As you can probably tell, I am now pulling at straws to find a possible answer - tried everything else...

0 Ratings