Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 9

Recent Router Crashes

Hi,

I have been exeriencing router crashes recently on my Synology RT2699AC. Last night it crashed at 02:30 and the night before at 02:00 but I have had other crashes over the past couple of months.

I have a BT Openreach modem between the router and the phone line. The connection has been rock solid for 12 months with this router and for several years with other routers and the Openreach modem.

Synology support are struggling to identify the issue but are seeing PPPoE error logs. I haven't changed the PPPoE settings since installing the router a year ago.

Just wondered if the issue could be related to the Modem rather than the router, odd that it happens in the middle of the night?

The other possibility is that I purchased a DEll XPS 13 (9370) around the same time as the issues started and have seen some posts that these laptops can impact networks.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Jon

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 9

Upload Speed has dropped again

Hi,

We have been with BT for years and usually get an upload speed of around 12mbps.

A year or two back it suddenly dropped to around 5-6mbps and, whilst BT wouldn't help, when I posted on here the speed suddenly went back up to 12mbps.

Well, the speed has again dropped to around 5mbps, its actually been like this for a couple if months but I was hoping it might sort itself out. It hasn't, and I am now hoping that someone on here can help again?

Thanks

Jon 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 9

Re: Recent Router Crashes

as you are using a separate modem is the internet conenction dropping to modem or is internet connection ok but problem is between modem and your router?

I merged your 2 posts as I think the problem is the same cause

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 9

Hi,

Thanks for responding.

How would I check router vs modem?

I can say that rebooting just the Router solves the issue until it happens again.

Why do you think its the same issue, last time the upload rate dropped there were no other issues?

Kind Regards

Jon

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 9

if rebooting your router alone solves the crashing problem then it would suggest your actual internet conenction is ok and it is a problem with either ethernet cable conencting modem to router or router itself

can you post any connection stats from your modem and router?

is it your actual up connection speed that is low or your upload speed which is something different

can you post results from btspeedtester diagnostic test  http://www.speedtest.btwholesale.com/

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 9

Hi, Results below, I think this answers your questions but let me know if not.

Thanks

Jon

Results Capture.JPG

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 9

Btspeedtester results alone are no use need stats from your router/modem as well

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 9

Hi, 

I can try and find some stats, what sort of things would be of use?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 9

unless the modem is unlocked then you won't be able to get the stats

0 Ratings