Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Tmillo
Aspiring Contributor
Message 41 of 274

Recent online gaming ping spikes when streaming Netflix

Hi all,
I've had BT for years now and never had any problems. I can normally game happily at an optimal (20ms) ping and my girlfriend can happily watch Netflix/Prime on the BT Youview box.

However, since early January her usage has caused my ping to rise to 120ish. This just makes playing unbearable.

Now, id normally just agree that Its too much strain but I have no idea why it went from being perfect to this seemingly randomly. I tried contacting BT, running speed checks but everything looked fine. Its just the second she starts playing, my Xbox becomes unbearable.

Any help, advice, suggestions would be amazing. The bliss that once was here is now just frustrating.

Specs:
Xbox One X (wired)
Home Hub 6 (smart hub) (wired)
Download 55mbps
Upload 13mbps
273 REPLIES 273
GazzaLFC
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 274

Gaming ping spikes all of a sudden when Netflix is being used.

Hi,

I have been with BT for a long time and all of a sudden (last couple of months maybe) whenever someone else in the house uses Netflix my games lag.

I don’t know why, we have not changed/introduced anything so I can only assume BT have changed something?

Can something be changed, looked up from the BT end?

I have searched the forums and I see other people have had the same experience: 

https://community.bt.com/t5/Home-setup-Wi-Fi-network/Extreme-ping-lag-in-games/m-p/1910219

https://community.bt.com/t5/Home-setup-Wi-Fi-network/BT-Infinity-Lag-Spikes/td-p/1890814

I have tried to follow these to posts and enable QoS but for some reason no matter what I change in they QoS settings it makes no difference.

My router is the TP-Link AC2800 and my QoS settings are below.

I have added the 4 devices that have the ability to stream Netflix to low priority and added my gaming machine to high priority.

https://imgur.com/a/F1TFyBv

I have also reserved the IP’s for all of the devices.

https://imgur.com/a/VcVtN9R

No matter what settings I use my games always lag like clockwork when Netflix is played,  its almost as if QoS isn’t working.

I do have other devices on LAN/WLAN (phone, extender and echo dot) but they don’t create much bandwidth and I don’t want to create to much of a complex QoS rule list.

I assume these not being added is not creating an issue. When I tested today I only had these 5 items connected to the network.

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks Gareth

0 Ratings
loftyw
Beginner
Message 2 of 274

Ping spikes when gaming and watching Netflix and streams

Since renewing my contract just before Christmas 2018 for a further 24 months I am having constant issues to the point where I feel like I've gone back a decade. Previously I had fibre infinity with no problems for 2 years. Within a couple of weeks of renewal I've been having constant issues to the point that if somebody in the house is streaming, any gaming becomes unplayable due to constant and erratic high ping fluctuations.

I have researched on line for a solution and have held numerous discussions via BT chat and gone through all suggestions with no joy to these constant issues. 

I am left wondering if my package has been amended in any way that I am unaware of as there were no issues prior to renewal. I have seen many people suffering similar isssues whilst browsing community posts which generally seem unresolved. The only resolution I have seen that appears relevant is a change to a stable service or a very stable service.

Currently there are two gamers and three people constantly streaming in the same household. If anyone is streaming no-one can play on multi player games without having constant ping fluctuations that make the game unplayable.

I have replaced the home hub 6 with a third party router that can handle QOS but the issue still remains. I have cut down to using one PC connected directly to the router via ethernet and the issue still remains. Cables have been changed with no effect. I have checked the line for noise which appears to be fine and exhausted all internal options and remain  convinced there is an external issue.

I would very much appreciate any help with this issue and hope to resolve this soon.

itani
Contributor
Message 3 of 274

Re: Ping spikes when gaming and watching Netflix and streams

I had this problem occur in December 2018 and after 2 months I gave up as I'm moving home soon. Cannot game at all because of ping spikes and I had no problem for the 2 years I have been with BT until December 2018. Since I'm leaving home start March I gave up trying to fix it. Good luck

0 Ratings
barryniceone
Beginner
Message 4 of 274

Re: Gaming ping spikes all of a sudden when Netflix is being used.

Hi,

Have you fixed this?

I am now having the same issue after being with BT for 2 years and not having any problems. I only noticed it 2-3 weeks ago, but it is becoming a big issue when 2 people in the same house are trying to game/stream on netflix. 

I contacted BT who sent me a new router, but it has not made a difference.

TIA

0 Ratings
GazzaLFC
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 274

Hi,
I haven't fixed the issue but I have improved it by purchasing a managed switch (£30 from curry's) which plugs into my router and I am able to restrict the bandwidth used for each port.
My netflix devices are on LAN so I was able to achieve this, if your devices are using wireless then there is extra steps to take, like using a wired AP device.

I have found lots of topics on the CS and Overwatch forums about this issue, they all start from the back end of last year with the exact same symptoms.
There are a few theory's on what BT are doing on other forums, namely, BT using some kind if QoS for streaming sites and placing people who download a lot or download at awkward times at the bottom of the pile.

I do not think you will get any response here, from reading a few threads they always think its the end users fault but its far to big of a coincidence for that.

Its very odd that I have to use QoS and monitor bandwidth all of a sudden after using BT for over 10 years and yet the speeds are faster than ever!
Like most others with this issue, I would prefer slower download rates and a more stable gaming ping.

Thanks Gaz

barryniceone
Beginner
Message 6 of 274

So I've been doing a bit of testing over the last few days and now have proof that BT are deliberately throttling twitch and Netflix.

Fortnite has an in game ping system which also shows packet loss etc. As soon as I start up twitch or Netflix, the ping shoots through the roof and hits 150, basically unplayable.
If I start up Mixer or YouTube and run a 1080p stream, the ping doesn't change. I have written a complaint and waiting on response but have made a video to prove this is what is happening.
GazzaLFC
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 274

Good to know, keep this thread updated when you get some feedback.
Thanks Gaz
0 Ratings
jb68
Contributor
Message 8 of 274

Happening to me, even using a XR500 router, when i use twitch on another device, my pings go crazy on every game i play. I have a 80/20 connection and this has started happening the last few weeks. I even tried just having a ps4 connected a one phone connected to the router and the lag spikes keep happening

0 Ratings
barryniceone
Beginner
Message 9 of 274

I had a reply from the complaint earlier this afternoon.

Basically an automated response suggesting that I need to split the channels, something I had done when trying to troubleshoot through the BT page.
I'm intending to escalate the complaint and will let you know. I'm determined for them to recognise it a fault on their part rather than an issue our end.