Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
dubstepzombie
Aspiring Expert
Message 311 of 358

Re: Recent online gaming ping spikes when streaming Netflix

If you're confident the problem isn't at your end i.e. not your router, Wifi if you use Wifi, your phone socket(s) / internal phone extension wiring, your PC config etc and you've had your line checked out by an Openreach engineer then there is no fix.

You can try creating a complaint via BT as I did which seemed to eventually get my ping problems sorted out although I'm not sure if it was my complaint or just some random luck, others have tried the same and got no where I believe.

So if you've tried all options and got no where I think the best and most likely solution is to just change ISP. In my opinion the BT network (the BT ISP / TCP/IP side)  is just over subscribed, they can't cope with the amount of traffic so they are using some method to avoid dropping packets, call this what you want e.g. traffic shaping, flow control, packet buffering, buffer bloat etc, end result is delayed packets / random ping spikes.

lolowalsh
Contributor
Message 312 of 358

My ping is even unstable without streaming anything it goes from 10 ms to 300 ms after 6 PM. Games like FIFA where your connection need to be spot on are unplayable with BT. Funny the further I upgrade my connection, the sh#tier it gets. I should've never switched to fiber optics, I remember gaming on 20 MB's ADSL and not a single issue.

0 Ratings
dubstepzombie
Aspiring Expert
Message 313 of 358

@lolowalsh you may have some other issue, the issue I've seen and others is ping spikes when a relatively small load is put on your connection, when my network wasn't in use by anyone else or other applications gaming was ok.

I'd check to make sure your network is actually quiet, for example even Windows with a background update could probably cause ping spikes or a BT TV box perhaps (I don't have one so I'm not sure)

Also if you're using a home hub (I don't have one) I'd check out how to turn off your BT hotspot support e.g. google for it  /

https://community.bt.com/t5/Broadband-Extras-Apps-from-BT/BT-Fon-and-BT-WifiX-opt-out/td-p/1768672

0 Ratings
lolowalsh
Contributor
Message 314 of 358

I was so desperate to game yesterday that I used BT with fone and not one single ping spike as opposed to my BT infinity. I find it odd that I'm getting ping spikes on my BT top package but getting stable 13-20 ms ping on BT with fone with 5down/7upload speed.

dubstepzombie
Aspiring Expert
Message 315 of 358

I'm  no expert on BT fone / BT hotspots but as far as I understand these are Wifi hotspots provided by a home hub, being Wifi they have to be close by - a few houses away at most and I would assume would be connecting to the same road side cabinet.

To me this suggests you have a problem with your home hub or your internal network or phone wiring  or a problem with the connection to the road side cabinet or some combination of these factors, this is where an Openreach engineer should be able to help.

The only other possibility I'd guess at is that the network you're connecting into via the BT hotspot is quiet and your network isn't.

0 Ratings
CloudGamer
Contributor
Message 316 of 358

@dubstepzombie you absolutely nailed it in post #311 above.

I have seen latency related issues for more than a year. In June last year stormy weather brought down a tree branch which took out my copper line.  When BT landline fixed that issue the very last diagnostic test he performed showed an issue which led to BT underground engineer fixing an underground fault relating to QoS next to my cabinet.    The engineers went to great lengths to fix these issues and they seemed interested in my stories about cloud gaming and how it maxes out my BT internet connection and appreciate seeing the effort and time they put into fixing a QoS related issue.   They made it clear that the issue may reoccur and I just need to contact BT and they will fix again.   A few months later I started seeing latency issues and tried all the usual troubleshooting which did not resolve.  So I phone BT customer care and I get told my internet connection is healthy.   I asked if they measure latency in their tests.  No was the answer.   But refused to acknowledge latency is an issue.    Four times I have done this.   BT even deny any BTvengineersvfixed anything for me.   BT refuse to send an engineer out because my landline is healthy and my internet connection speed is good.

So additional to all this is another known issue which BT could help me with removing from possibleccauses of latency is upload bandwidth allocation being saturated for my cabinet.  Ref:  

if on VDSL2 or G.Fast technology (which uses higher frequencies compared to ASDLx) with more subscribers using this technology on your cabinet  the more susceptible to cross talk interference. Openreach  is combating this using technology like Vectoring. When the upload bandwidth is saturated then you a likely to see a increase in latency - these services are asymmetrical.

https://community.bt.com/t5/Home-setup-Wi-Fi-network/Is-My-BT-Internet-Connection-Suitable-For-Next-...

We can thank @James-C  for that info but sadly BTCustomer Care simply refuse to send any engineer out at all.

The more time I spend looking into this, the more I am sure the next time I phone BT it will be to close my account.

0 Ratings
CloudGamer
Contributor
Message 317 of 358

I think BT are massively extracting the urine and are taking liberties, so rather than just closing my BT account I am going to go through the process of making a case with appropriate ombudsman as BT are bang out of order and falling well below what is expected of them.  I am not getting what I paid for which is an UNLIMITED 76Mbps down 20 up internet connection.

0 Ratings
Blinkeh
Beginner
Message 318 of 358

Re: Gaming ping spikes all of a sudden when Netflix is being used.

Same hoping there is a fix waiting to hear just signed up to 18 months with bt regretting it right now 

0 Ratings
Bloodraven
Aspiring Contributor
Message 319 of 358

Just wondering has anyone in this thread had this issue solved? weather that involves having to move providers or not.

Don't want to read through 300+ messages to find out

0 Ratings
lolowalsh
Contributor
Message 320 of 358

@dubstepzombie  he has managed to solve it although it was random for him.

0 Ratings