cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Blinkeh
Beginner
Message 331 of 356

Re: Gaming ping spikes all of a sudden when Netflix is being used.

So would be best phoning them then and getting them to do the backend stuff ?

0 Ratings
thequila
Aspiring Contributor
Message 332 of 356

I chat with someone 2 days ago and they had no clue what is wrong. Told me to restart router and all the basic that I have done before and in the end they send me new ethernet cable to solve this. Of course it didn't solve anything. Good luck and let us know how it went.
0 Ratings
Blinkeh
Beginner
Message 333 of 356

Will do I've done trace routes and stuff which I'll send them from what I can tell it's an issue with the routing and upload speed being unstable but I dont think it shows on their test will let you know if I get anywhere with it 

0 Ratings
Techlover
Beginner
Message 334 of 356

Re: Recent online gaming ping spikes when streaming Netflix

Add me to the list of people being impacted by this.

I've been on BT Infinity for last 5 years and always had a low ping of around 20 when gaming via my PS4 Pro.

Within the last few months I've seen my ping regularly jumping to 500+ and games have been unplayable online. It's also intermittent.

I've got the PS4 connected via LAN to a TP Link AC2800.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
CloudGamer
Contributor
Message 335 of 356

Does that TP Link Router have packet prioritisation for device or any QoS options?

Although I don't use Netflix I use a cloud gaming service called Shadow and let's just say it pushes my Superfast 2 connection to the max.    I was seeing poor game performance due to high packet loss and high ping variation.    All I did was buy an Asus ROG Rapture AC2900 router and Draytek Vigor 130 modem to completely replace my Smart Hub 2.   Simply setting up WAN and enabling adaptive QoS seems to have drastically reduced both the packet loss and ping variation.

I found using ThinkBroadbands speed test especially useful for measuring and monitoring network traffic latency as it measures bufferbloat for both down and up traffic.    I was seeing very high bufferbloat on upload traffic with old Smart Hub scoring D or E.     I now score triple A in ThinkBroadbands speedtest and my cloud gaming adventures are much more enjoyable.     

Am sure any gaming spec, gamestream ready or GeForce Now router/VDSL hub am sure will give similar results.   This will be more useful than changing ISPs as it also allows making ICMP pingable, which means you can use network monitoring tools like PingPLotter or ThinkBriadbands Broadband Quality Monitor (BQM).  so you can show BT support exactly where latency is affecting your quality of service, if issues persist.

Rather than just changing ISPs if you feel the need we should jump through the hoops to make a case with ombudsman.

Am sure better firmware on Smart Hubs providing better management of network traffic per device and per application  would make a huge difference too.    

Does Netflix client have any settings like "Prioritise network traffic" similar to Steam client?   

0 Ratings
Catterbury
Beginner
Message 336 of 356

Same issues here too and I’m glad I’m a way I’m not alone so I know it’s not a fault with my equipment or property.

I recently moved from Sky and could play happily online using Cat6 Ethernet cable whilst the kids streamed Netflix or YouTube in 4K upstairs on WiFi. 
Since moving to BT, I can’t play online without seeing huge lag and spikes in ping even if one of them are streaming YouTube at 480p on their iPad mini 2! That’s just ridiculous and just goes to show there definitely is an issue on BT’s side!

Ive tried tweeting them but they’re ignoring me. If only we could get this noticed in the public eye to get something done!

0 Ratings
matthewuncle
Aspiring Contributor
Message 337 of 356

Is there a hashtag? We could all tweet and upload screenshots? Or has this been done?

0 Ratings
h3x1e
Contributor
Message 338 of 356

It's what got this noticed. Just tweet at bt

0 Ratings
Catterbury
Beginner
Message 339 of 356

I didn’t use a hashtag sorry but they immediately just take it off public view and ask you to DM them like they just have me now. I know they will ask me to run tests but I’ve already done all this so will just ask them to cancel my contract for not supplying what they advertise (stream, game, browse at the same time). 
I’ve also linked them to this page.

0 Ratings
Techlover
Beginner
Message 340 of 356

Hi Cloud Gamer,

Thanks for the advice.

I've had a look at the router web interface and there are indeed these options and the ability to prioritise certain traffic, or that coming from a fixed IP.

I'll give that a try and see if it makes any difference.

0 Ratings