Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Matt-S
Moderator-Retired
Message 391 of 1,014

Re: Recent online gaming ping spikes when streaming Netflix

Hi @hurleh,

Welcome back to the Community and thanks for posting.

@hurleh wrote:

Yeah was just curious since it actually says perfect for gaming.

Im contracted to a Fibre Business package so just hope they fix it asap tbh since they are aware of the issue now which is good.. Cant really cancel because in my area its the only decent ISP 

If you are connected via a BT Business connection we won't be able to help you on this Community as we only have access to residential accounts and systems. If I have picked you up wrong and you are on a BT residential connection please let me know?

@john9411 @Tmillo 

I've sent you a Private Message with details on how you can get in contact with the mod team.

Thanks

Matt

0 Ratings
dubstepzombie
Aspiring Expert
Message 392 of 1,014

If you are connected via a BT Business connection we won't be able to help 

@Matt-S don't take this the wrong way but what help would that be ? 40 pages and I can't remember seeing any help from BT for this problem.

BT solved my ping problem - can you determine exactly what was wrong and how it was solved, that would help....

I can tell you my route changed to the same destination IP address via the BT core network the evening before it was fixed.

0 Ratings
buzzby27
Aspiring Contributor
Message 393 of 1,014

is it CEO of openreach or bt ,where will I find his email address pls
0 Ratings
h3x1e
Expert
Message 394 of 1,014

Search for Philip Jansen, if you want to send an email to the Cheif Executive

0 Ratings
NeilO
Message 395 of 1,014

Hi @buzzby27 Thanks for posting and welcome to the BT.com community forums. I'm sorry to see you're having problems with your ping spiking, I've sent you a Private Message with details on how you can get in contact with the mod team and we'll be happy to take a look at this for you. 

0 Ratings
GazzaLFC
Aspiring Contributor
Message 396 of 1,014

Hi, I can see a few people are getting private messages, are these messages any form of a fix?

0 Ratings
john9411
Contributor
Message 397 of 1,014

@GazzaLFC 

Interesting point! Previous experience of posting on other topics would suggest 'No' but having said that hours after getting request to send 'Private message' my son spent a whole evening on XBOX with no problems with everything networked on Smart Hub. I had managed to get it set up to use IPv6 so that might have helped or it could just have been coincidence! Have not had a chance to try again yet and judging by problems posted on forum by people who cannot get a consistent connection over IPv6 between XBOX and Smart Hub success may be short lived. We shall see!

Even if 'Private message' does solve problem that is not the answer. BT needs to stop using stock reply of network speed is ok so there are no problems and OFCOM need to move away from judging ISPs' performance solely on speed!

0 Ratings
Tmillo
Contributor
Message 398 of 1,014

I received a PM and had a nice conversation with someone at BT who is going to test a fix for me early next week (it was Friday eve when I had the call).

If it works, I'll make sure to ask him when he follows up what actually was changed so everyone else having the same issue can try and get a fix. I'm actually over the moon that someone is trying to help after all this time so let's wait and see if we can finally mark this post as solved. 

0 Ratings
JamesCO
Aspiring Contributor
Message 399 of 1,014

Hi all,

I've been with BT on a fibre plan for nearly a year and I've been dealing with this same issue for as long as I can remember.

When I play online games (Rocket League, Rainbow Six Siege etc.) during the AM hours whilst nobody is using the network for VOD/Netflix, everything is perfect - I get incredibly low ping and the connection is stable. But during the day, if my girlfriend is watching Netflix, Youtube, Twitch or any other type of video/stream, ping spikes happen every several seconds reaching in excess of 300ms. This obviously makes online gaming impossible and the connection not fit for purpose given the bandwidth should be more than capable of handling this.

I've tried various routers with no improvement, I've tried different ethernet/wireless configurations with my devices and nothing has helped. From the replies in this topic, it appears that the problem is on BT's side and related to traffic prioritisation of some sort, can a mod or someone please advise with potential solutions?

@dubstepzombie @JoshThomas would either of you be able to PM me some details or a template of the email you sent to the CEO please? That would be massively appreciated!

0 Ratings
JohnC2
Message 400 of 1,014

Hi @JamesCO  welcome to the forum and sorry you are experiencing spikes with your broadband connection. I've sent you a Private message explaining how you can contact the forum moderation team and we will be happy to help you with this.
Check here: https://community.bt.com/t5/notes/privatenotespage

cheers
John

0 Ratings