Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dubstepzombie
Aspiring Expert
Message 441 of 1,014

Re: Recent online gaming ping spikes when streaming Netflix

@john9411 

I'm more convinced this is traffic shaping based on streaming, I'd say they prioritise streaming some how, perhaps just simply a TCP connection over UDP packets - gaming uses mostly UDP.

BT invest lots of cash in sports and their TV box, they'll no way accept someone else browsing, emailing etc interrupting TV services. Imagine if you're watching your favourite sports event and it keeps stuttering and dropping frames, you know how passionate some viewers are regarding sports - not me thankfully, there would be some seriously upset customers.

Seeing as most other internet activities such as browsing, emailing, facebook and so on are not latency sensitive they probably just totally over looked gaming. 

From what I've seen it doesn't matter what time of day you test this, the result is always the same, even into the early morning hours 2am etc.

It's either the above or their network is just over subscribed and / or they traffic shape because they're over subscribed, in fact from talking to other ISPs that's what they claim i.e. BT is just over loaded with customers and traffic.

BT open reach provide connectivity up to the ISP section as in TCP / IP routing, changing ISP changes the routing infrastructure that's why switching to Sky or other ISPs has been proven to solve the problem. BUT be aware that many other internet packages are just re-badged BT offerings, so you've got to be careful if you switch ISP that you don't end up using the same BT hardware to route packets.

BT will never admit they're not investing enough in the hardware to route packets plus it's all about speed anyhow - who cares about latency ??

GazzaLFC
Aspiring Contributor
Message 442 of 1,014

@JamesCO @dubstepzombie 

Can you reboot your router and do the same ping test straight after reboot?

I have found that since they applied a 'fix' to my connection it works fine after router reboot but then it deteriorates and I need to reboot the router again to achieve better ping results.

I understand this could be unique to me, that is why I am asking.

Also to note... I am not using the BT Home hub, I am using a separate modem and router (Asus RT-AC86U)

For anyone who has had the 'fix' applied ( @buzzby27  ) and are still not seeing better results try and reboot your router

Gazza

0 Ratings
john9411
Contributor
Message 443 of 1,014

@dubstepzombie 

Thanks for comprehensive response. As I said I am not that technically minded.

One point from your response that does concern me.

There have, for some time now, been rumours that Sky could be ditching satellite (at least initially for new customers)  so they, presumably, will ultimately have the same issue as BT.

What with that and 'repackaged BT' it makes choosing a decent, and reasonably priced, ISP that much more difficult?

0 Ratings
dubstepzombie
Aspiring Expert
Message 444 of 1,014

@john9411  I know what you're saying about Sky and it would be a concern I'd certainly use the cooling off period when switching to a different ISP.

At the moment flicking over the Sky forums I can't see anyone complaining about ping problems and on this thread there's at least 1 person who switched to Sky and it totally solved their problem.

It is difficult to know exactly how a different ISP may connect into the BT / Openreach services, you definitely need an ISP that avoids as much of the BT infrastructure as possible.

BT own Plusnet and their forums last time I looked had complaints about ping problems, I'd probably avoid Plusnet.

idnet.net have 'gaming packages' but I was flicking over their forum earlier and there was 1 thread where someone switched and was complaining about speed / ping - perhaps not a gaming package though ?

Zen internet - not sure about these, I hear good things about Zen but when I contacted them they suggested the ping troubles were 'normal' if you're using your connection i.e. I couldn't get them to commit to saying actually the ping problems suck and we can do better.

'Ghost Gamer Broadband' is a relatively new ISP, I'd expect these guys to  'get it' seeing as they're aimed at broadband for gamers, but whether they've got the cash and hardware to cope with the traffic demands as with all ISPs is difficult to know.

There's plenty more to choose from, it's a gamble but if your ping is trash then to my mind it's worth switching on the basis it's unlikely you'll end up with anything worse.

@GazzaLFC  I'd avoid rebooting your router as it can affect what the DLM does - it'll see that as a loss of connection and may decide to apply various error corrections including interleaving. Although I went through a phase of rebooting my router and changing about every setting it had  when I had troubles and it made no difference.

I use a third party router, no idea how good the home hub is if that's what you're using. I'd check your error stats on the router before rebooting it including interleaving delay. My router has very good stats that's why I was 100% sure I had no problems between my house and the cabinet.

0 Ratings
joo1
Contributor
Message 445 of 1,014

Any update on fixes or anything guys? I feel like i've been left out to dry with no help from anyone. Its sickening how you can be so loyal to BT and when you need a problem fixing they couldn't care less in the slightest. All because of netflix/video streaming throttling speeds. Mind blowing.

0 Ratings
joo1
Contributor
Message 446 of 1,014

Had someone ring me today from Open Reach. Such a lovely lady but it was to let me know if FTTP would ever be available in my area.

After I explained the issues I was having she couldn't believe Netflix could do so much damage to the speeds when wired into the back of the router, on fibre optic in 2019!!

When she looked at my account she then told me BT had just closed the case as if the issue was fixed. She then reopened it for me.

This is what I mean about BT being useless and nobody wanting to help fix the situation. Cba anymore its so out of order im actually disgusted. Someone better be in touch today.

0 Ratings
Matt-S
Moderator-Retired
Message 447 of 1,014

Hi @joo1 

I'm sorry that you have been told that your case has been closed, this is incorrect. Your case is sitting with our TMC team who are still working on getting a fix to your issue.

They will follow up with you when they have an update.

Matt

0 Ratings
joo1
Contributor
Message 448 of 1,014

Thanks Matt - that's good to know. Not sure why I was told it had been closed then.

I don't really feel it's about fixing 'my or your' issue anymore though.

If you guys were to look at this as a collective rather than each individual case, we'd be much closer and finding out a possible solution.

0 Ratings
JamesCO
Aspiring Contributor
Message 449 of 1,014

Hi @RobbieMac 

Sorry for not remembering your name! Thanks for getting this issue raised; is this raised as a complaint or a tech issue or something separate entirely? And is there a rough ETA on when I'll likely get an update on things? It seems like a lot of people on here are still complaining about the same problems several months down the line.

Not to be impatient or anything, but with holiday season fast approaching, if this issue can't be resolved it basically means my home network will be limited to gaming or streaming services when everyone is at home 24/7. From scouring other ISP forums, this only seems to be a problem for BT/Plusnet which strongly suggests there is some traffic shaping/prioritisation happening. If that is the case, ISPs have a responsibility to be completely transparent about the policies in place.

Really hope this can be resolved without the need to raise complaints and move to a different ISP.

Cheers,
James

0 Ratings
JamesCO
Aspiring Contributor
Message 450 of 1,014

@GazzaLFC I'll give the router a reboot and run a ping test over the next few days. How long does it take for things to deteriorate before you need another restart? Hours? Days?

0 Ratings