cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
finnra
Aspiring Contributor
Message 491 of 626

Re: Recent online gaming ping spikes when streaming Netflix

I am waiting for BT to get back to me tomorrow (Monday) but I am not hopeful. I am just going to get my broadband cancelled and switch to ghost gaming or leetline.  Weird that all these new "gaming" ISPs are based in the South East as if internet where I live is especially shocking. Update tomorrow I guess.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
dubstepzombie
Aspiring Expert
Message 492 of 626

I wasn't aware of leetline, I'll have to look more closely but they seem very interesting, I like how they're open about their infrastructure / topology. I'm in no rush to find a new ISP I've got to wait until Jan next year.

Thing is I'm happy to pay more for a quality internet connection but of course if you can get the same thing for less then why pay more.

0 Ratings
cowo8
Aspiring Contributor
Message 493 of 626

@dubstepzombie 

yeah, that seems like the easiest solution. i've live chatted BT support, filed a complaint and they were certain that the issue is my router so they're sending me a new one, waiving the £50 fee and giving money off my next bill. now i'm almost certain that's not going to fix anything, but if BT are happy throwing money at me, wasting time and cutting the cost off my bill because they can't be arsed to fix it then that's good enough for me until i leave. sky sounds like a good option as we already have sky tv. cheers

Reckless11
Contributor
Message 494 of 626

@NeilO 

Hopefully as someone who themselves play Fifa, you may be the best person to ask for help with the issues i'm having myself. Given that there are qualifiers on Saturday/Sunday which I need my connection fixing for ASAP.

I got in contact a fair few weeks back and the issue was helped for a while, but it is now back as bad as ever.

I am fairly knowledgeable on certain matters, and have been able to use QOS for a while to negate my issue, but even that now doesn't help.

I've taken two PingPlotter tests whilst disabling the Internet on all other devices in my home, except for this PC.

Only PingPlotter in use on my network.pngPingplotter the only thing active on my Network

Even whilst nothing else is active on my Network, my Ping is fluctuating on average anywhere between 12-24 ms, which is obviously a problem than a higher but stable Ping.

Ping Plotter + 720p stream running on same PC.png

This is with all other devices disabled, with just 1 PC running with 1 Ping Plotter test and 1 720p Youtube stream.

0 Ratings
h3x1e
Expert
Message 495 of 626

You have 50% packet loss to your router. Are you testing over WiFi or?

0 Ratings
Reckless11
Contributor
Message 496 of 626

Is it not simply the way in which the router is behaving to ICMP packets? There is no actual packet loss present at that point, otherwise it would also be present at the end router too?
All 388 and 409 packets which were sent from my Router eventually reached their destination.

Router 0% Packet Loss.png

As you can see from the above, there's no packet loss there.....And this Pingplotter, unlike the others, was actually done over Wi-fi.

0 Ratings
dubstepzombie
Aspiring Expert
Message 497 of 626

I find ping plotter over complicated for this problem, all you need is a DOS prompt and 'ping x.x.x.x -t' to the destination address, start netflix or some streaming and watch your ping times, ping will also show packet loss with 'no response' messages. If you see pings into the 100's of ms then you're suffering the problem that this thread is about. With no streaming and a 100% quiet internal network you should see a stable ping and no packet loss.

Obviously for reliable online gaming you'd only want to see a few ms of variation, so I'd say even 10+ms of jitter / ping variation would potentially be somewhere between annoying and having a tangible negative effect.

0 Ratings
Reckless11
Contributor
Message 498 of 626

@dubstepzombie 

I've had people from BT on here looking into the issue before, and they have confirmed there was an issue....Which has now reoccurred.

It's the same issue as before.

0 Ratings
h3x1e
Expert
Message 499 of 626

Ping Plotter is pretty perfect to display the issue. You never need to worry about the destination ping, as that's out of BT's control anyway (unless ping spikes happen within the first 7 hops which are BT's network. Will be less amount of hops in some cases). Pingplotter does the trace route then pings the individual IP's as if they were the destination IP.

It shows that the ping of ALL servers on the route to the actual trace route destination.

If you were to only use a ping in command prompt you'd only get your RTT (Round Trip Time) of the destination IP and not every server in the route. You would have to do this for every single hop in the route to show that the issue us with BT's network and not anything outside. Just pinging google.co.uk in CMD and using that as evidence that it's BT's fault isn't going to work because you have no proof the ping spiking is inside BT's network and it could be outside.

A better options would be a traceoute in CMD but again, that doesnt ping servers every second and only gives you one ping value for the 60 seconds it takes to complete the trace route in CMD.

That's why ping plotter is better in every way, you get best of both worlds.

dubstepzombie
Aspiring Expert
Message 500 of 626

I don't doubt you have a ping problem I'd just say not to any specific poster but in general that it's easy to assume a ping problem which can be caused by many different things is this specific problem. Not that it really matters apart from creating some level of confusion and increasing the time to get it resolved - if that's even possible.

As I did you need to rule everything out and get to point of there's nothing you can see being wrong with you internal setup, including phone wiring, router setup, how you're connecting to the router i.e. no Wifi as that can easily cause ping instability.

0 Ratings