cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
James3793
Contributor
Message 721 of 1,014

Re: Recent online gaming ping spikes when streaming Netflix

It's a great router and will definitely solve the issue for you. My suggestion would be to pick on up from Amazon, try and it and if for any reason it does not help, send it back.

It is very easy to set up and great for prioritizing gaming if that's what you want. 

It is not a modem though so you will need to pick up one of these separately. Draytek Vigor 130 is what I went for. Again, very simple to set up.

0 Ratings
NeoFried
Aspiring Contributor
Message 722 of 1,014

I've seen online that I can configure the smart hub as a modem so I'm going to try that

0 Ratings
James3793
Contributor
Message 723 of 1,014

Great.

Let me know how it goes. It was such a relief to find a solution after all this time.

0 Ratings
NeoFried
Aspiring Contributor
Message 724 of 1,014

Will update on Saturday as I get paid on Friday

Thanks for the advice.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 725 of 1,014

@NeoFried wrote:

I've seen online that I can configure the smart hub as a modem so I'm going to try that

You can`t. Its already been posted many times before on this forum.

0 Ratings
NeoFried
Aspiring Contributor
Message 726 of 1,014

Any cheap modems you can recommend?
0 Ratings
Stu_H
Aspiring Expert
Message 727 of 1,014

You need to remember the Duma software on the XR series of routers will not solve issues if BT have implemented a streaming priority under its infrastructure.

It will help with normal run of the day controlling devices with its QoS so if it worked for James was his issue more to do with devices hogging the bandwidth rather than some of the complaints found on the thread.
0 Ratings
Stu_H
Aspiring Expert
Message 728 of 1,014

Plenty of HG612 on eBay. That’s what I use along with the XR 500 which I’ve just had to send back for repair. It’s replaced with a AX12 RAX120 which is great but once back I’ll keep hold of it as a new update is due out this year. 
pay no more than £20 though.

0 Ratings
NeoFried
Aspiring Contributor
Message 729 of 1,014

Thanks for the advice. My main issue is my bt tv taking up the bandwidth so hopefully I should be able to reduce how much it hogs or prioritise my pc.

0 Ratings
James3793
Contributor
Message 730 of 1,014

Honestly, I really don't have much on my network. I originally thought this could be the issue. 

The anti-buffer bloat technology has definitely fixed the issue. The below explanation is what prompted me to try a new router. I also spoke to a local networking engineer who told me that he see's this issue on lots of ISP's and its caused by the way streaming services are loading small bits of content at a time so its essentially pre-loaded and ready to watch. This is when you see the high spike. 

Anyway, the below was very helpful for me.

Here's a quick explanation of one of the most powerful features in the OS that powers our Nighthawk Pro Gaming routers, anti-buffer bloat.

What is anti-buffer bloat? Before we can answer that, we should answer what the heck is buffer bloat? Buffer bloat is a major cause of high lag in networks caused by excess buffering of packets or information. Bufferbloat can also cause packet delay or jitter, as well as reduce the overall network speed. When a router is configured to use excessively large buffers (like HD video or several streaming devices), even very high-speed networks can become practically unusable for many interactive applications like voice over IP (VoIP), online gaming, and even ordinary web surfing.

Simply put, if you have a device or multiple devices like Google Chromecast, Amazon Firestick or smart TVs, the preloads for showing you a little bit of that movie or show is buffered. Now, it’s great that they can serve up that content immediately, but that’s contributing to bufferbloat. All of those devices add up and start to vampire a little of your overall internet until things start to slow down.

Anti-buffer bloat is designed to remedy this problem by reserving a percentage of your overall internet for interactive applications like VoIP and online gaming.

Think of it as a bouncer that let’s your gaming traffic into the VIP line and things like streaming services get to wait in line like everyone else.

0 Ratings