cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dubstepzombie
Aspiring Expert
Message 741 of 808

Re: Recent online gaming ping spikes when streaming Netflix

I will say this, aimed at BT , I've swapped ISP because of this issue and if BT don't officially confirm the problem and confirm is has been 'properly' fixed - not a bodge / tweak fix then there's zero chance I'll ever come back to BT simply because I'd have no idea if the problem might still exist...

Also BT you're not doing yourself any good, if you google BT and lag it's already all over the internet, it's not like keeping quiet means no one gets to find out about it, it's 2020 not 1970.

0 Ratings
Stu_H
Contributor
Message 742 of 808

Sorry to hear that.

can I ask what your connection speeds were with BT?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
dubstepzombie
Aspiring Expert
Message 743 of 808

Gaming doesn't need massive speeds, my speeds are about the same limited by the FTTC connection before and after the switch.

So 67Mbps down and 17MBps up - give or take.

0 Ratings
Stu_H
Contributor
Message 744 of 808

Thanks.

yes gaming needs small amounts compared to streaming. I’ve a 50 down and 10 up . 

let’s hope you have better luck with your new isp.

0 Ratings
JustSwitch
Beginner
Message 745 of 808

@dubstepzombie  Who did you end up moving to? Do you have any similar issues with them so far?

I've got until the end of the month to leave and I'll 100% be doing it. I'm sick of no official response and I'm sick of the useless community team asking me if I'm wired or wireless.

0 Ratings
Stu_H
Contributor
Message 746 of 808

what are your connection speeds?

have you tried another router with QoS apart from the Homehub?

0 Ratings
dubstepzombie
Aspiring Expert
Message 747 of 808

@JustSwitch I switched to leetline, no ping spikes at all, couple of things to be aware of though.

1. External ISPs may have a slight latency overhead due to how BT wholesale hands over your connection, so you may see some extra ms compared to a BT connection. The main thing to be aware of is how far away you live from your chosen ISPs point of presence / POP, all the closer you are all the better your ping is likely to be. I say likely because there are several other factors that might come into the end result, that's why you'll be unlikely to find any ISP that will even estimate your ping before signing up.

2. After switching you may end up with interleave being enabled on your connection, which adds extra ms to your ping times, this takes 2 to 3 days for the digital line management (DLM) to decide to remove the interleave depth. For me this added 8ms i.e. when you switch don't panic 🙂

I always felt something wasn't correct with my 'fixed' BT connection, either timing, jitter or something meant hit registration wasn't 100%, with leetline I've had so many jaw dropping moments where I've pulled off seemingly instant flick shots, this might apply to any decent ISP but certainly I can say for leetline connection quality is there for gaming.

I've spent many days looking at ISPs and pings, my short list is leetline, Zen and possibly idNet. Also check out Andrews & Arnold, these guys might be a good option if they wasn't so expensive. 

IdNet I believe has a 1 month contract for FTTC, although check yourself in case I'm wrong, so you could try idNet and if they didn't deliver then move else where after 1 month.

Also support at leetline is absolutely fantastic, think of the support that's totally opposite to  BT and that's what you have, so prompt,  honest, helpful, 100% knowledgeable about ping and connection technology.

0 Ratings
FinnKaiden
Aspiring Contributor
Message 748 of 808

This only recently started happening to my line. I game a few hours a day with others in the house watch Netflix, Youtube, Twitch, Amazon Prime ect and over the last 2 years not had a single issue until December 2019. Now any type of streaming on any device causes pings to go from 20ms up to 350ms every 5 seconds.  This is completely unacceptable and going what people say on the forum there is no fix. I refuse to buy a new router and modem to counter this problem. Is there really no fix for me? Is switching ISPs the only option? Has ANYONE had any success by speaking to the Mod teams?

0 Ratings
emptywhy
Aspiring Contributor
Message 749 of 808

I had noticeable improvements talking to the mods however after a period of time i was told the problem must be on my end as i've been told 50x over the phone, BT simply refuse to recognize this as a problem of their doing so i'm moving ISP after 7 years with BT.

0 Ratings
Stu_H
Contributor
Message 750 of 808

Finn your first port of call is to make contact with BT just in case you have an issue with your line.

once you have gone down this line like most have you can then decide what route you wish to take. If you read through the thread some have success either by BT or by altering their home network via a new router with better QoS controls while others have moved on to new isp suppliers.

0 Ratings