cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 751 of 811

Re: Recent online gaming ping spikes when streaming Netflix

I was having this issue for a while (posted further back in the thread) but I did speak to one of the mods, which did result in the issue being "fixed" for a few months but unfortunately it did just seem to be a temporary solution as the latency spikes have once again appeared when others stream at the same time. Has anyone at BT acknowledged exactly what the problem and what they are planning to do about it.

0 Ratings
dubstepzombie
Aspiring Expert
Message 752 of 811

My 'fixed' BT connection was exactly the same, it started out being rock solid and then deteriorated over the months and even ending up varying on a daily basis. Some days the jitter would look like  the rocky mountains of western north america.

The fix is clearly a tune / tweak, it's not a proper solution, if it was it would be rolled out to all customers and customers with the fix wouldn't have this deteriorating connection quality.

0 Ratings
Tabcoil
Beginner
Message 753 of 811

Hi I posted back on page 63 about the same issue as you all, I was able to change to Sky and my ping is super stable now, with at least 3 devices playing netflix, twitch or youtube. The modes were great in trying to fix it, way better than the clipboard answer helpdesk team, but alias it didn't resolve the issue. It's clearly a network management issue and not a physical one due to Sky having no issues at all while using the BT infrastructure. My advice is change ISP if possible, worked for me.

0 Ratings
Message 754 of 811

Sorry for having to post on here as I'm not actually a BT customer. But sadly, I've been having the same issues (high ping whilst streaming) with both my old Plusnet connection and my new EE connection that went live last week.

Sadly switching to EE from Plusnet didn't fix the issue (I imagine both of them use the same network since they are both owned by BT) so was wondering if anyone can recommend an ISP that doesn't suffer from this issue?

Am I just limited to Sky and TalkTalk since they are both LLU or are there other providers that don't use BT equipment?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 755 of 811

They all use the Openreach Fibre Cabinets, apart from Virgin Media.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Stu_H
Contributor
Message 756 of 811

Has anyone tried to stream twitch for example on different devices to see ping plotters result.

ive spent a few days blasting away, no type of QoS and I’ve had some interesting results.

for example watching twitch 1080p 60fps on my shield pro 2019 model results in no spikes, run the same on my MacBook wired up and hey presto spikes, run on iPad Pro hey presto spikes but the shield shows hardly any.

now I might be able to handle it via QoS to a degree but has anyone tried various devices to see what results they get. 

round trip results show there’s an issue popping up depending on the device tested which is strange, if I did not know better the isp is identifying devices. Now to test this I used my MacBook via a VPN and streamed twitch, same streamer, same settings and guess what, a flat result.

this leads me to think BT may be detecting devices and some software is involved. 
ive been testing this hard and that’s what I’ve discovered.

would like to see if others can test this while running ping plotter.

0 Ratings
dubstepzombie
Aspiring Expert
Message 757 of 811

@Stu_H  I'd say it's more likely linked to your connection being saturated, what you'll find with twitch and other steaming applications is that they'll saturate your connection for a very small amount of time to fill their buffers. This shouldn't cause pings to go through the roof, yes perhaps raising your ping a little and even a few 10's of ms spikes but not 150+ms.

Perhaps your other devices or via VPN doesn't hit your connection that hard hence no spikes, you're in effect seeing the same as what you might with QoS enabled or net limiter etc.

I don't think BT has done anything on purpose to cause this, like tuning for TV, if they had they'd just reverse it. The fix is clearly a tune, it's not a full and definite fix. Therefore it has to be a fault with their routing equipment that they can't or won't fix, I'd expect anyone such as EE or plusnet using their routing will have the same problems.

Interestingly you'll also find things like Steam will do the same when you limit the download rate to some amount, it limits the rate by saturating your connection for a less amount of time, bit like pulse width modulation. It would be far better if the limit would just allow a longer amount of time between each packet but that's probably not possible due to timing granularity on your typical PC.

As a guess I reckon the problem has to be interleaving of some sort, as in you've got a ping packet or gaming packet held up by the current packets of your netflix or whatever stream, so although their routing has got the bandwidth of multi terabits it hasn't got the switching speed required to switch in the packet coming from a different port / route into your connection, hence the ping spikes.

Stu_H
Contributor
Message 758 of 811

Here’s the thing I should have seen something on my shield but nothing with no vpn , I expect as you say the odd rise but the end packet results were spot on. 
there is something adrift and yes I know they burst info but without a vpn I was getting spikes in the 250 plus. 
true a vpn might not give you the same results but to see a dramatic difference was interesting. 
I  tried everything through the shield and it’s fine but other devices started showing up using ping plotter that there is an issue with the isp. 
I wanted to see for myself after reading through all the posts as I only caught this the other day from another forum and it was only fair I tried all I could to see what my connection was like using what I have here. 
I have to say as it stands there does seem to be an issue and at some point I’ll try out my XR500 again to see if I can limit it but I’m trying out a new Wi-fi 6 router at the moment and it’s proving to be great apart from the lack of QoS functionality. 

worth pointing out that a VPN might not hide your device details like this for example Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_15) AppleWebKit/605.1.15 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/13.0.4 Safari/605.1.15

Personally I would not trust any isp with what they can do to promote services they offer. It’s why VPN comes in handy at times. 

0 Ratings
Sambob
Contributor
Message 759 of 811

Re: Xbox OR streaming Netflix/Prime can’t do both

@NeilO I'm really having an ongoing nightmare with my internet connection and I'm getting the same issue again "You have reached the limit for number of private messages that you can send for now. Please try again later." when trying to reply to Matt-S message received yesterday, Please can you take the spam thing off again so I can reply to him??

0 Ratings
thelionheart17
Beginner
Message 760 of 811

i almost switched to plusnet myself before i randomly came across the fact they are owned by bt, i also switched to sky for that reason but dont go live for a week so cant speak for my experience yet, but will leave an update a week after i have been on sky.
0 Ratings