cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Stu_H
Aspiring Expert
Message 851 of 1,014

Re: Latency Spikes when trying to game whilst someone else is streaming (e.g. Netflix)

It is though the known bugs plague it as well as the XR series of routers. Let’s hope milestone 3.0 helps to smooth the experience.  I would hang on to the R1 a bit longer though and see how 3.0 turns out unless it’s the WiFi side that’s an issue for you. 

0 Ratings
Ryugosling
Beginner
Message 852 of 1,014

Re: Latency Spikes when trying to game whilst someone else is streaming (e.g. Netflix)

I dont use the wifi on it at all, basically just wired to my ps4. The geo filtering really helps with the games I play and so it is essential for me. I will run more tests tonight while gaming to see the jitters I usually experience . 

0 Ratings
Ryugosling
Beginner
Message 853 of 1,014

I understand but I'm constantly getting spikes like the one mentioned.  These spikes however small in comparison to others cause the game I play to jitter. Is there anything you can do about this matter?

Here is another reading directly from the smarthub 2 whilst idle again.

All Targets.png

0 Ratings
andy_w1
Beginner
Message 854 of 1,014

Hi all,

I'm having the same issue: massive lag spikes every 2 seconds or so, only when netflix is being streamed at the same time. I'm not using anywhere near the download or upload bandwidth I'm paying for (~70/20mbps).

This happens on a wired connection directly to the hub. Below is an image showing my ping. The top 3 graphs are with no netflix (ping around 14ms, fairly steady). Bottom 3 graphs look like they are from a heartrate monitor but are in fact my ping when netflix is being streamed (jumps to ~300ms every couple of seconds)

Does the fix work? If so, can you deploy it on my accountping with netflix.PNG?

0 Ratings
Tomtyler951
Beginner
Message 855 of 1,014

Re: Recent online gaming ping spikes when streaming Netflix

Hi John

I had this issue which was resolved about a month ago by you guys.  However, the lag whilst gaming has once again returned. 

Can i get some help please?

Cheers,

Tom

0 Ratings
MonkfishEsq
Aspiring Contributor
Message 856 of 1,014

Been having the same issue, 3-4 seconds of lag when playing a game but it happens even when I'm not streaming or doing anything except chatting on discord. I put it down to BT being unable to handle the extra load from people isolating and having to stay at home.

Which begs the question, Why are BT wholy incapable of providing the service which people pay them to provide the moment that network load goes up?

0 Ratings
matthewuncle
Aspiring Contributor
Message 857 of 1,014

Yup. Seems to be back. Lag spikes and pings of over 400 or so without anything else streaming. It's a very poor service.
0 Ratings
JohnC2
Message 858 of 1,014

Hi @Tomtyler951 sorry that you are experiencing this issue again. Please would you run a pingplotter and post results for streaming when not gaming and when gaming.

@MonkfishEsq and @matthewuncle as you are experiencing high ping and not related to streaming Netflix please can you create your own threads and post pingplotter results there and the community will be along to help.

Cheers
JohnC2

0 Ratings
Burkazoid
Beginner
Message 859 of 1,014

Moved house within the last month and took out a contract with BT. Have been experiencing latency spikes while gaming and thought it was something interfering with the wifi, so switched to Ethernet. Same issue. Found this thread and suddenly it all makes sense as my wife usually watches Netflix while I’m gaming.

Did a quick experiment with PingPlotter and sure enough, huge spikes while Netflix is running:

BFBF6D14-CAC1-45CA-AC49-1303B92116BB.jpeg

The stable areas to the left and right are before and after Netflix was running, spikes are while it was running.

Incredibly disappointed as I’ve been a BT customer for over 5 years and have never experienced such an issue until recently.

0 Ratings
Burnsy1
Beginner
Message 860 of 1,014

Hi,

I am also having all the same issues as mentioned in this thread and have seen people get the problem fixed as supposedly BT is working to solve the problem at the moment. I was wondering if any of the mods could help me fix it sooner as mentioned by one of the mods earlier in the thread.

Thanks

0 Ratings