cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jakeyb21
Aspiring Contributor
Message 101 of 1,014

Re: Unplayable lag when netflix is running

Just to add, I don't even have a youview box, my TV is still with sky.
0 Ratings
Reaps
Contributor
Message 102 of 1,014

It doesn't matter if you have YouView or not, it's their network configuration that is prioritizing YouView above your normal data traffic, so they can have perfect picture quality whatever they are watching. There's very little you can do.

Perhaps call up and ask if you're OK to move, even though your outside of the first 30 days...

If you care about WiFi, buy a Wifi access point and connect it to your router, you can disable the crappy wifi anyone sends you then.

0 Ratings
Reaps
Contributor
Message 103 of 1,014

Just to add - I have moved internet today.

Moving away from BT has resolved ALL my latency issues.

CAI_007
Aspiring Contributor
Message 104 of 1,014

@Reapswrote:

Just to add - I have moved internet today.

Moving away from BT has resolved ALL my latency issues.

Hugely jealous Reaps. I'm stuck with BT. No real alternative in my area except Sky, who I was with before and had issues. What annoys me is there was no issues until about xmas and now we are seeing reporting all over the place. Yet you get mods on here saying they recommend we use our fibre connections for a single service. Even though before I could run netflix / twitch (multiple streams) and play games at the same time. 

0 Ratings
Reaps
Contributor
Message 105 of 1,014

What kind of issues did you have with sky?

0 Ratings
CAI_007
Aspiring Contributor
Message 106 of 1,014

@Reapswrote:

What kind of issues did you have with sky?

I was getting line disconnects roughly the same time every night and they were not interested in fixing the issue. Reported multiple times and they said the line was fine. Download speeds / upload speeds were also terrible. After reading your reply, i've checked my BT contract. I have 8 months left to go. I also put in my post code to Zen and apparently they support my area. I wish I had found them before switching to BT. 

You should post your comparison results now you have moved to Zen. Show the mods that the connection can very easily run multiple streams etc without ping spikes instead of this additional upload excuse they have been peddling. 

0 Ratings
JoshThomas
Contributor
Message 107 of 1,014

Isn't it so infuriating to hear them say, "make sure nobody else is using the internet in your home" as if that's a perfectly acceptable answer in 2019 with fibre connections and fast bandwidth speeds. BT is terrible, and that one particular mod on here is nothing but a shill, cannot accept that there is clearly a fault with BT.
Reaps
Contributor
Message 108 of 1,014

It's interesting, as surely being a technical individual - said person should understand that these faults are related and by the amount of narrowing down I have done, it's 100% IPTV prioritization that's causing the issue.

I'll tell you why.

Downloading at 30Mbps through steam on my 61Mbps fibre caused me to have a 200 ping.

Watching BT Sports UHD (4K) which shows 30Mbps of throughput being used on my router, did not affect my ping in any way.

Why can I use 30Mbps with one type of traffic with no affect to ping and 30Mbps with another type of traffic with a massive affect to ping, BTs prioritization configuration is the only answer here.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 109 of 1,014

Its simple. BT Sport and other BT subscribed Internet delivered channels use multicast.

This is a one way system with no error protection, so there are virtually no transmission overheads, and nothing is sent back to the servers on the upload path. Its just like a TV transmission from a transmitter, where you have one sender, and multiple receivers.

Other services like Netflix, YouTube etc, use unicast. Every received packet or group of packets needs to be acknowledged by sending data back to the server.

In addition, service specific quality control information is sent back to the service provider to ensure you get the best performance, whichever device you use.

Unicast has considerable transmission overheads.

If you want more information, search Wikipedia or Google.

0 Ratings
Jakeyb21
Aspiring Contributor
Message 110 of 1,014

I have found a way of making it less laggy, I've had to go into the Netflix settings turn the stream quality down to medium and turn off, play next episode, the ping spikes and jitter is still there but not as bad.
0 Ratings