cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PeterR
Aspiring Contributor
Message 91 of 356

Re: Latency spikes while streaming video content - Unusable for gaming.

I have run a tracert to bbc.co.uk with the following results

1 4 ms 4 ms 5 ms bthub.home [192.168.1.254]
2 * * * Request timed out.
3 23 ms * * 31.55.186.181
4 23 ms 26 ms 24 ms 31.55.186.180
5 25 ms 23 ms 23 ms 195.99.127.106
6 33 ms 26 ms 26 ms peer2-et0-1-3.slough.ukcore.bt.net [62.172.103.206]
7 * * * Request timed out.
8 25 ms 24 ms 24 ms 151.101.192.81

Trace complete.

It doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Perhaps you could explain why I am getting "request timed out" on some entries?

0 Ratings
ozzler
Aspiring Contributor
Message 92 of 356

No Keith, upload is not the issue as I've said before. This is being cause by download spikes. I've capped upload and this does nothing. When capping download this works..but impacts loadtime on video content. 

There are also people on other providers connecting to the same cabinet on an identical fttc package. So please stop trying to blame VDSL or netflix. It's a BT issue. 

0 Ratings
sunshine12
Beginner
Message 93 of 356

why does netlix cause higher latency

when playing games with a suffcient amount of bandwidth 50 down 10 up

why is it as soon as somebody watches netflix my latency gets alot higher with some packet loss.

0 Ratings
NilSatisOptimum
Recognised Expert
Message 94 of 356

If your serious about gaming, use a dedicated broadband connection just for gaming and keep it all wired.  That's what I have done in past, these days my age is catching up with me and is much more of a disadvantage than a very busy home network and associated latency...

Mortgage Advisor 2000-2008
Green Energy Advisor 2008-2010
Charity Health Care Provider Advisor 2010-
I'm alright Jack....
Jakeyb21
Aspiring Contributor
Message 95 of 356

Unplayable lag when netflix is running

I have the fibre unlimited 2 package, with around 60mbs as average speed. But as soon as someone goes on either Netflix or youtube, I get huge constant lag spikes, that makes online playing horrible. I really need answers as my son and myself just simply can't play online whatsoever. Thanks.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 96 of 356

Re: Unplayable lag when netflix is running

Please use the forum search facility, there are lots of similar posts, and you may find some possible solutions.

https://community.bt.com/t5/forums/searchpage/tab/message?q=netflix%20latency&collapse_discussion=tr...

0 Ratings
Jakeyb21
Aspiring Contributor
Message 97 of 356

I've read through at least 10 posts, I've tried wired and wireless, even tried a different router but makes no difference. Perfectly fine fast connection, then Netflix comes on and boom, lag spikes every 1-2 minutes sometimes more. Are BT even aware this happens? I need a solution.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 98 of 356

Connection speed and latency are two different things. You can have a very fast connection, but poor latency due to network buffering, and you can have a slow connection, and virtually no latency.

Latency is not a parameter that BT include in their service guarantee, as much of it is dependent on how much traffic is being carried on the network as a whole. If you are on a heavily loaded Virtual Path, then latency is going to suffer when overall usage is high.

BT Retail deliver a lot of video content over their network. like YouView subscription channels which have a very high priority over other traffic, to ensure that people get the picture quality they are paying a lot of extra money for.

Its probably best not to use any streaming video of any form, while you are gaming. Some improvements can be made to your own network, but this is beyond the scope of this forum, as it needs a good understanding of how your local network is configured.

0 Ratings
Reaps
Contributor
Message 99 of 356

I have this exact issue with BT. Latency is stupidly high when only 1 other person is viewing youtube/twitch/netflix/amazon prime, even though I have 80/20 fibre.

After numerous visits (6 in total) with BT engineers, none could fix it.

This is purely down to the ISP and they are not interested in resolving this issue, even though I had a BT case engineer oversee everything that was being used to fix, they are unaware of what they can do to resolve it.

I have moved to Zen Internet - who don't have any IPTV service such as YouView on thier network.

It's due for installation tomorrow. So i'll confirm whether this is a good ISP to use for being able to use streaming services along side gaming, I know for a fact BT have major issues at the moment.

I think its insanely bad network management to priorities YouView above other streaming traffic, without the ability to allow end-users to configure this in your modem settings (yes, it can be done)

eg.

1. Set YouView to have no network priority on IPTV services.

2. Set up bt homehub to have the 'ability' to priorities IPTV traffic, but off by default.

3. For people who are having picture quality issues - allow them to change settings to priorities.

What this does:

People like myself, will have a much better overall experience.

YouView traffic will not cause these disruptions to other customers as highly, as the majority will not have it set to high priority.

I would have stayed with BT, if their network was better managed, unfortunately - it's now.

0 Ratings
Jakeyb21
Aspiring Contributor
Message 100 of 356

I've only been with BT just over 2 months, previously with sky who I had major WiFi issues with, switched to BT as they have the whole home wifi thing. Had no issues with sky, could have 4+ people watching Netflix without a problem, now 1 person goes on Netflix and bang rediculous lag.
Does anyone have at least any tips to even improve it, I will take anything right now even a slight improvement would be nice. Thanks guys.
0 Ratings