cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Villaman101
Beginner
Message 20 of 356

Re: Terrible latency whilst gaming...

Thanks for the reply. I've just lowered the quality of the netflix stream down to medium on my wife's account, she prob won't even notice tbh. Hopefully that may have some success. Other than that I may have to buy an upgraded router at some stage.
0 Ratings
Payla1802
Beginner
Message 21 of 356

What do you mean own dedicated connection
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 22 of 356

@Payla1802 wrote:
What do you mean own dedicated connection

A totally separate Internet connection to your house for your exclusive use, just for gaming.

0 Ratings
Payla1802
Beginner
Message 23 of 356

How do I get that
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 24 of 356

Unicast streams like Netflix, Youtube etc, are not a very efficient way of distributing content to multiple users, but they do provide the content providers with a lot of useful information about how people are using their services, and how to target advertising Smiley Wink

BT YouView distribute their extra subscribed channels like BT Sport, using Multicast, which does not have any impact on the upload path, apart from a very tiny amount of information which is sent back as part of the YouView platform.

I can see issues for gamers getting worse, not better, as more unicast content is consumed.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 25 of 356

@Payla1802 wrote:
How do I get that

By paying for an extra phone and broadband package to be delivered over a separate pair of wires, an expensive option, assuming there is capacity on the local copper network and fibre cabinet.

Trying to make better use if your existing connection, is a much cheaper option, but you need to have a good understanding of networks and routers.

0 Ratings
Payla1802
Beginner
Message 26 of 356

Hmm maybe not,
Do you know how the be hotspot works as I cannot use it
0 Ratings
meercha
Aspiring Contributor
Message 27 of 356

I have exactly the same issue!!!! COME ON BT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 28 of 356

@meercha 

This is only a customer to customer help forum, and we are all just customers.

If BT have said that there are no faults on your broadband service, and you are getting the correct upload and download speed, then the problem is being caused by your network configuration.

Latency will normally increase, the more users you have connected to your broadband. Its up to the account holder, to restrict the number of users that connect to the line they are paying for.

If you are sharing a connection with other unrelated people, then perhaps it may be an idea to suggest that they get their own connection?

Latency is not directly related to connection speed. You can have a slow connection (10Mbs) and very low latency, and a fast connection (80Mbs) with very high latency.

There are many factors that determine latency, its just a case of identifying the cause.

0 Ratings
Villaman101
Beginner
Message 29 of 356

My issue seems to be solely with netflix. Tonight I will change the quality of stream on my wife's profile down to medium and see if that helps the problem at all.
0 Ratings