Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 30 of 358

Re: Terrible latency whilst gaming...

@Villaman101 wrote:
My issue seems to be solely with netflix. Tonight I will change the quality of stream on my wife's profile down to medium and see if that helps the problem at all.

Whether that will reduce the amount of data that Netflix sends back to its content servers, is difficult to say. I have never actually measured it.

Ideally you need to have a router which will allow you to restrict the upload bandwidth and priority of the device that is streaming Netflix, so you can set it to its lowest possible value, while still maintaining the Netflix stream.

0 Ratings
Payla1802
Beginner
Message 31 of 358

Never had that issue with sky I have to say
0 Ratings
Message 32 of 358

I just posted a new topic with this issue. The issue is not just with gaming. I run a ping trace to google and 2 ea game servers from my Mac and the same awful latency is there. The issue is with the connection for sure. They tried to fob me off at first saying my gaming setup/service provider was the issue. It clearly isn't.

While my wife is streaming anything on the tv. The lag spikes are off the charts. When she isn't it is stable. 

I hope we can get a resolution to this

0 Ratings
tomahawkz
Aspiring Contributor
Message 33 of 358

Good luck.. I've had these exact issues for months...

I tried routers such as Netgear Nighthawks and all sorts with decent QOS facilities and problem never went away.

Only way around it I've ever been able to achieve is simply by connecting to the BTWiFi with FON and signing in on the device which wants to watch netflix, this way it segregates the traffic.

It's definitely a BT specific issue and with that only affects some of us, a colleague is able to stream netflix in 4K on a line with far less bandwidth and latency be untouched.

My belief is some of us are on hot SVLANs so get affected by this and pretty much BT won't help because they're not interested in latency. They seem to only care about the bandwidth because of the Ofcom regulations.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 34 of 358

@tomahawkz wrote:

Only way around it I've ever been able to achieve is simply by connecting to the BTWiFi with FON and signing in on the device which wants to watch netflix, this way it segregates the traffic.

BTWiFi with FON is given the lowest priority on the home hub, that is why Netflix does not affect other devices. Its still routed over your broadand connection, using a different VLAN ID.

0 Ratings
Ghostly
Message 35 of 358

Re: Gaming ping spikes all of a sudden when Netflix is being used.

Same problem here, please let us know if you have a fix or response from the ticket

0 Ratings
Richard0975
Beginner
Message 36 of 358

Exactly the same problem, only been with BT for just over a month having switched from Sky who had slower speeds but no ping spikes. My gaming son is not impressed! Any help greatly appreciated
0 Ratings
Richard0975
Beginner
Message 37 of 358

Possible solution. I logged onto my Netflix account through a browser and in player settings I changed data usage from auto to low and switched off the next episode auto play. So far, daughter happily watching Netflix and son able to game on PS4, ping has dropped right back with no spikes. In Netflix the changes have to be made separately in each viewer profile. Seems too straightforward a fix but it’s working so far, I’m keeping my fingers crossed.
Richard0975
Beginner
Message 38 of 358

Re: Ping spikes when gaming and watching Netflix and streams

Had the same issue, PS4 unplayable due to ping spikes as soon as Netflix in use. I seem to have sorted it by logging on to my Netflix account through a browser, in player settings I changed data usage from auto to low and turned off the auto next episode function. You need to change and save the settings separately in each viewer profile. So far both are in use and the PS4 ping has dropped right down with no spikes. Hope this helps
0 Ratings
syffuf
Aspiring Contributor
Message 39 of 358

I am also having exact same issues. Also tried with new BT router and new 3rd party router with QoS. Limiting the bandwidth doesn't seem to help at all. Calling BT is a waste of your time, they don't even know what a ping test is. All they care is that their speedtest looks fine.

I did open a thread on this forum but hard to get a reply; https://community.bt.com/t5/Home-setup-Wi-Fi-network/High-Latency-Ping-spikes/td-p/1930788

As I can see, only "gamers" are noticing this issue - I would imagine any "normal" users only cares about Netflix working fine.

0 Ratings