cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GazzaLFC
Aspiring Contributor
Message 40 of 356

Re: Gaming ping spikes all of a sudden when Netflix is being used.

I have already tried low settings on Netflix, still an issue for me 😕

It does only seem to be a problem for gamers, a small % of customers so thast probably why a help guru has not noticed this thread 😄

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 42 of 356

Re: Recent online gaming ping spikes when streaming Netflix

See https://community.bt.com/t5/Home-setup-Wi-Fi-network/Ping-spikes-affecting-PS4-use/m-p/1929971#M1614...

there are plenty of other posts on this issue, which is affecting other ISPs.

and a possible solution at the end of this thread https://community.bt.com/t5/Home-setup-Wi-Fi-network/Ping-spikes-when-gaming-and-watching-Netflix-an...

0 Ratings
sunshine12
Beginner
Message 43 of 356

not sure that would be a solution  as changing to default vido quality, you will not get a good picture on netflix

0 Ratings
Tmillo
Aspiring Contributor
Message 44 of 356

I tried but the Home hub doesn't have those settings for Netflix, just my iPad etc. So unfortunately it doesn't solve it or explain why it only started in January.

I've just bought a new router with QOS to see if that allows me to better route the connection. Will update when I get it all set up
0 Ratings
davidmiller56
Aspiring Contributor
Message 45 of 356

Tmillo,

See that you are an Xbox Player,

Have you checked Xbox live ???

Its been having problems with streaming for games logins ect for the last week,

So might not be BT fault but Microsoft 

switch on Xbox go to settings and check network status, thats where they post faults .

Hope that helps 

David

0 Ratings
Tmillo
Aspiring Contributor
Message 46 of 356

Hi David, unfortunately it has been since January. However Xbox service outages haven't helped in the slightest.

It seems I've managed to solve it by purchasing a TP Link router that has QOS. Giving Netflix and Amazon 5% of upload allows that to work and me to game lag free.

Not sure what changed in January but it may be that Amazon and Netflix required higher upload which unfortunately screwed me. Sadly the Home hub doesn't support QOS setting so I had to purchase third party
davidmiller56
Aspiring Contributor
Message 47 of 356

Just be glad your not with TT , I have just switched back to BT from them due to Total lack of support of ANY Kind, overcharging ect, But MS different story , Playing D2 middle of battle lost it and loot BAHHHHHH MS

LOL Happy Gamming :-davmil32

David

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 48 of 356

@Tmillo 

For the benefit of other users, which TP Link router did you decide to use, and perhaps you may like to share the setting with other people, as I expected it to be an upload issue, as I mentioned on other threads?

Why Netflix has to upload so much data, is a bit of a mystery, but I have monitored it myself, and can confirm it. It has quite an impact on latency, which seems to mostly affect VDSL connections.

What is actually contained in those data packets, apart from the normal TCP ACK packets, is a mystery, as its encrypted, but they are probably monitoring how you use the service.

0 Ratings
sunshine12
Beginner
Message 49 of 356

they are monitoring if you are using a vpn, also monitoring your location.

0 Ratings
Tmillo
Aspiring Contributor
Message 50 of 356

I got the TP Link AC1350.

I am using my BT home hub as a modem and then Ethernet 1 out to the TP Link. It's annoying having two running, but it works.

Setting up QOS is easy. It's straight in the settings. Make sure you actually change the download and upload speed to your average speeds from BT and then I found it best putting Netflix and Amazon (youview box) at 5% and Xbox at 85%. Worked like a charm.
0 Ratings