cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CloudGamer
Contributor
Message 591 of 639

Re: Ping spikes

"I don't believe any ISP will take any notice of the QoS coming from a consumer internet connection, if they did it would just create a QoS battle with everyone wanting their packets prioritized."

This is what we are witnessing.

Are BT Community mods sharing info that helps you contact BT executives directly?   @cowo8 

What if service providers of subscription services which deliver content from the cloud also bundled your internet connection with that subscription?     Is this not one of the major changes 5G and Ultrafast promise?   I.e. we can expect to see massive increase of choice of who we can choose as ISP.

BT need to change their business plan.    Massively.   

This thread is reading more and more like a case for industry ombudsman.

0 Ratings
CloudGamer
Contributor
Message 592 of 639

"QoS is useful on a LAN level if you've got a contested network but for a typical home setup it shouldn't be needed unless someone was consuming 100% of the bandwidth,"

I live on my own and have two devices connected to my local network.   I have a modem and router setup as WAN .  One WiFi device and one Ethernet device.   I see exactly what you are showing in those before fix and after fix screenies.  I.e. crazy mess without adaptive QoS and drastically reduced ping variation on unloaded and loaded network with adaptive QoS enabled.  This is when using just one application on one device using Ethernet connection to my local network which uses an 80 down 20 up rated  internet connection   My router has a handy WiFi button for switching WiFi on and off at the click of a button to help ensure absolutely nothing else on my local network is affecting latency on my internet traffic.

BT Hubs not supporting a proper modem/WAN mode is exactly why I reckon BT need to provide a way for end users to manage local network traffic themselves, especially if their own routers don't have appropriate firmware options to do this using hardware provided by BT themselves.

@dubstepzombie 

In my "next gen gaming" thread I gave BT benefit of the doubt and stopped putting as much blame for these things on BT but reading this thread has made me realise BT could be doing an awful lot more to help with these issues than what they are willing to even admit to.

I mean what "community" mod would leave a customer hanging with "that's an case for our executives.  We can't help" and not even confirm the procedure on how to escalate this to the attention of the folks that can do something that helps.

Expecting an ISP to change their business model to better fit the needs of latest applications is remarkably awkward situation.    It really down to how fast server side tech is evolving.   And next gen killer AI apps are about to be unleashed, IoT and loads of other unprecedented things.

0 Ratings
dubstepzombie
Aspiring Expert
Message 593 of 639

I think in this case BT is to blame, as customers we pay them to provide us with broadband that's on par what you can get from other providers, this isn't the case, we're being provided with something that's substandard and we're paying the full price for it.

This whole fiasco has been going on for too long, there has to be some sort of official response to the situation with time scales.

I've never used the BT hub, not once, I've only ever used a third party router / modem.

There has to be a reason why 'the fix' isn't being rolled out, my connection went from everything feeling sluggish to everything feeling snappy, skipping a track on Tidal became instant. Why wouldn't you want everyone to have that sort of connection ? BT is competing with Virgin, Sky and many others, if they could they would want the better connection compared to other ISPs, that means more customers and more cash. There has to be a technical reason why they can't provide that sort of connection to the masses.

0 Ratings
mrgoldfish1
Contributor
Message 594 of 639

I contacted BT via Twitter with pingplotter graph’s highlighting the ping spikes I was getting when using Netflix. Without Netflix running I was getting a steady 16ms ping, with Netflix I was getting spikes of 260ms. After a couple of days I got a reply to say they had made some adjustments to my connection.

My connection has now massively improved with a reduction of 230ms when using Netflix, I’m not completely sure what’s changed ie rerouting my traffic but if anyone else needs there connection fixing I would recommend using pingplotter or something similar and proving your connection faults. But fingers crossed it seems to have fixed my connection.

0 Ratings
dubstepzombie
Aspiring Expert
Message 595 of 639

I've been messing with 'dslreports .com / speedtest' and this does seem to give consistent results for bufferbloat.

I don't think the problem is buffer bloat but the test method lends itself to the ping issues i.e. pinging while your connection is busy.

Interestingly I was able to get from a 'C' rating for buffer bloat to a 'B' rating by tuning various aspects of my router and PC. Although I suspect 'B' will be the best I can get with the BT ping issues that I still have lurking around. As in, although my connection is 'fixed' it isn't as good as I'm hoping it'll be when I switch to another ISP.

At work with a Virgin 200Mbps connection I get a consistent 'A' rating, my PC has no tuning, it's a business network so peak speed and latency isn't really considered - it's just a standard company LAN.

Anyhow it would be interesting what others on here get using dslreports - specifically buffer bloat. The other ratings for me are all 'A / A+'

0 Ratings
george1976
Aspiring Contributor
Message 596 of 639

That is a very good website, you can also monitor your connection latency and other stuff with their tools tab.
0 Ratings
dubstepzombie
Aspiring Expert
Message 597 of 639

My first AAA result, surprising what you can do with tuning 🙂

bufferBloat.png

0 Ratings
CloudGamer
Contributor
Message 598 of 639

Screenshot_2019-11-16_08-25-47.pngUsing a third party router and modem, download seems a bit low but was using WiFi.      Can confirm when using BT Home Hub 5 or Smart Hub 1 or 2 was getting C-F bufferbloat rating and used the results page to see it was upload traffic bufferbloat was somehow the thing causing those ratings.   Simply not using a BT Home Hub or BT Smart Hub seemed to have fixed that.    Only other thing I changed was disabled BT-FON on my BT account.

Dslreports and Thinkbroadband have awesome network monitoring tools but BT Hubs do not allow ICMP be enabled so can't be pinged for the most useful of  those tools to work.    Again using a different router can help with being able to use those tools.   My new router has network traffic analyzer app built in to router firmware/gui and can see how just having Netflix app installed on my Shield TV device  could be causing random ping spikes when using my favourite cloud gaming service.

0 Ratings
george1976
Aspiring Contributor
Message 599 of 639

How do you get that bufferbloat result? Third party router with QOS?

Ohh wait, just got my answer 🙂

0 Ratings
saltyrodney
Aspiring Contributor
Message 600 of 639

I've been having the same issues for over a year, been with BT for 15 with no issues.

Had engineers sent out numerous times to no avail

I run QoS settings using a TPLink router but it only makes it manageable, still impossible to do anything once a single 1080p stream is running on the network

[img]http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest/56629644.png[/img]

This is my speed most days, Im supposed to get an average of 36Mbps (which should be plenty for a couple of pcs gaming with netflix in the background, even in ultraHD, 25Mbps minimum they ask for)

Currently running a 1080p twitch stream with consistent 100 ping spikes

Im completely fed up now and dont always have a lot of time to sit on the phone to customer service due to work commitments, im contracted for over a year still and have completely lost all faith in BT

Please please please can a mod change my profile, we have 2 hardcore gamers in this household and its impossible to play

I'm also going to ring customer service now and see if i can quote this thread

0 Ratings