cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
James3793
Contributor
Message 711 of 1,014

Re: Recent online gaming ping spikes when streaming Netflix

Hey guys. I thought I would update the thread as I have finally managed to fix the issue for my setup after weeks of searching.

I recently upgraded to a Netgear Nighthawk XR300 and previously owned another Nighthawk model. While searching the internet for other people experiencing lag spikes during gaming, I found forum posts outlining the same issue with Plusnet, EE and some other ISP's in the USA. 

I found some information regarding the Nighthawk OS (DumaOS) and a new feature in the QOS settings called anti-buffer bloat. You can read about this here.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Pro-Gaming-Routers/What-Is-Anti-buffer-Bloat/td-p/1669266

Anyway, I looked through my Netgear OS last night and found that by default, the feature was set to 'never'

I switched this to 'always' as recommended by other forum posts and this has completely solved the ping spike issue. I also tweaked some of the QOS settings to prioritise my gaming set up.

If you are experiencing ping spikes and have a Nighthawk router, definitely try this and this is most likely the cause of the issue. If you dont own a Nighthawk router then buying one is likely to solve the issue.

Check the article out and give it some consideration.

0 Ratings
buzzby27
Aspiring Contributor
Message 712 of 1,014

have rebooted the router ,next reboot I do is boot it out the window ,problem was fixed for a few weeks but the last couple of weeks its now even worse than what it was before ,wtf are BT doing

0 Ratings
dubstepzombie
Aspiring Expert
Message 713 of 1,014

"wtf are BT doing" they are providing broadband that's **** for gaming and charging you the full price for the privilege....

This thread based on the 1st reply date of "24-01-2019" is coming up for the 1 year anniversary, well done BT, that's impressive for all the wrong reasons. The next milestone will be 1000 posts, currently at 700+, it's already gone past 10,000 views. I'll say this, their forum works ok, most other forums would have crashed by now, pity the broadband that's "fit for gaming and streaming HD video on multiple devices" isn't quite there yet 🙂

0 Ratings
Chriscbr46
Beginner
Message 714 of 1,014

Re: Xbox OR streaming Netflix/Prime can’t do both

The mod team did everything after I contacted them , no idea what they did but it was done their end ,takes about 2 days after they sent a msg .

I can now play PlayStation ( FIFA ) whilst 2 tv are using Netflix ( occasional lag but hardly noticeable and has only happened about 3 times ) much better than before and does not affect play 

0 Ratings
Crumble84
Beginner
Message 715 of 1,014

Re: Xbox OR streaming Netflix/Prime can’t do both

Same thing has happened to me over the last few days, if anyone has worked out how to fix the issue please, PLEASE let me know. I am suffering from silly high ping no matter the time of day or if anyone else is streaming anything else.

scootwilson
Aspiring Contributor
Message 716 of 1,014

This is a really useful post, one of just a handful on this 715 post thread!!! Been googling bufferbloat which seems to be the root of all these issued. Can you tell me which is the cheapest router which has anti-bufferbloat and a controllable QoS please? 

0 Ratings
James3793
Contributor
Message 717 of 1,014

@scootwilson yeah it’s completely fixed the issue for me.

I went for the Nighthawk XR300 so take a look at that on the Netgear site. Maybe there are cheaper models with anti-buffer bloat but that’s the one I went for.

0 Ratings
NeoFried
Aspiring Contributor
Message 718 of 1,014

Personally, I haven't had success with the mod team although they have been very helpful. I'm considering getting the nighthawk xr300 as I have been told there is nothing more bt can do and my ping has barely improved ( from spiking to 300 down to 220). 

Is the router worth the £130 price tag as I've never bought a router? ( been using smart hub)

0 Ratings
Darren84
Aspiring Contributor
Message 719 of 1,014

Have read and posted on here the mod team have improved my situation but still not up to standard at the moment. I have gone from 24 to 200 spikes down to 24 to 100ms spikes. Something must have changed for this, it wasn't on my end. They must be doing something right. As for the router it should work but why should you have to fork out that cash for a service you are already paying for. If you are happy paying for it then do so as it will improve the issues. If you know how to set it up.
0 Ratings
NeoFried
Aspiring Contributor
Message 720 of 1,014

Thanks for the fast reply, I'm competent in computing so setting it up shouldn't be an issue just never considered buying one. But hey if I can fork out 200 for a 144hz monitor I feel like not having ping spikes would improve my experience more so in that aspect it's worth it. Read some reviews so I think I'll try it out and if it doesn't work as advertised I'll just send it back.
0 Ratings